Homebrewers Association | AHA Forum

General Category => All Grain Brewing => Topic started by: roguejim on July 06, 2013, 06:16:51 PM

Title: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: roguejim on July 06, 2013, 06:16:51 PM
I just started brewing a hefe, not a style I normally brew.  The last time my BG was way off on the low side.  I attributed it to not getting a good crush on the wheat malt.  So, today I double-crushed the wheat malt.  The BG was still low by 8 points.  I used 6.25 lbs wheat, 6 lbs pils, and 1 lb rice hulls.  Single infusion mash.  Aside from increasing the grain bill next time to make up for the loss in efficiency, is there something I'm missing?  Is there a better "cure" for this anomaly?  Thanks.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: denny on July 06, 2013, 06:48:39 PM
Ot could be that the number you're using for the potential extract of the wheat malt is higher than the malt really is.  Just a WAG.....what potential are you using?
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: roguejim on July 07, 2013, 02:59:22 AM
Ot could be that the number you're using for the potential extract of the wheat malt is higher than the malt really is.  Just a WAG.....what potential are you using?

uh...whatever Promash uses under German wheat malt.  I'm using Bestmalz.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: dmtaylor on July 07, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
The mill might not be tight enough.  Try a triple crush!?!?1
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: roguejim on July 07, 2013, 04:24:55 PM
Correction:  Bestmalz is my pils malt.  The wheat malt is whatever German brand the LHBS is selling.

As for the crush, my mill is set such that my efficiency runs 75-77% for all brews in the ~1.050 range.  This hefe came in at 64%.  Maybe I'll have the LHBS pulverize the crap out of it next time since I don't want to mess with my mill on the few occasions when I brew a wheat beer.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: kylekohlmorgen on July 08, 2013, 06:38:31 PM
There is a previous thread on efficiency loss with adjuncts, but I can't find it.

Most replies noted a loss in efficiency when using wheat or rye. I tend to see a 5-7% loss when using a considerable amount of either.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: beersk on July 08, 2013, 06:47:01 PM
There is a previous thread on efficiency loss with adjuncts, but I can't find it.

Most replies noted a loss in efficiency when using wheat or rye. I tend to see a 5-7% loss when using a considerable amount of either.
Same here, it's kind of a bummer.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: kramerog on July 08, 2013, 07:02:10 PM
There is a previous thread on efficiency loss with adjuncts, but I can't find it.

Most replies noted a loss in efficiency when using wheat or rye. I tend to see a 5-7% loss when using a considerable amount of either.

The OP is using wheat malt, not an adjunct.  Anyway, I wonder if folks are seeing the same kind of losses regardless of wheat source (malt, flaked or berries).
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: dmtaylor on July 09, 2013, 02:13:52 PM
I see no loss in efficiency from wheat or rye.  I must be crushing too hard!   ;D
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: troybinso on July 09, 2013, 03:09:12 PM
Beersmith lists the potential for white wheat malt as 1.040 pppg. This is about 10% higher than the potential for the other base malts (1.035-1.037). I am not sure if wheat malt really has a higher extract potential, but it seems like that could be the problem.
Title: Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
Post by: narvin on July 09, 2013, 03:11:18 PM
The ProMash estimate for German wheat malt is 1.039 ppg.   Looking at some of the lot analysis for Best Malz wheat on the Country Malt site (http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/maltlot.asp, enter BZW and you'll get a list), the average is only around 1.037.