Homebrewers Association | AHA Forum

General Category => Equipment and Software => Topic started by: mainebrewer on January 14, 2011, 01:12:37 PM

Title: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: mainebrewer on January 14, 2011, 01:12:37 PM
This past weekend I had to crank up the pressure to around 30 PSI to get a stubborn keg to seal.
This was a first for me since I have always been able to get a seal at 10 PSI.
Anyway, after the keg sealed, I tried to turn the pressure down but I can not return the adjusting screw back to its original setting.
I was able to back it off to a 20 PSI setting but it is stuck there and and I can not get it to move in or out.
Any suggestions?
Title: Re: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: beerocd on January 14, 2011, 01:16:56 PM
First, is the nut on the screw tight up against the housing? Back it off and you should be able to adjust.
Failing that - give it a shot of WD40.
Title: Re: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: mainebrewer on January 14, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
The locknut is fully backed off but that should not affect the CCW movement of the adjusting screw.
As I mentioned earlier, I almost never have to move the adjustment screw. And then its only to make a 1-2 pound +/- adustment.
When I increased the pressure the screw moved OK.
I'll try the WD-40 thing. Can't hurt.
Title: Re: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: hamiltont on January 14, 2011, 05:56:52 PM
Try letting the pressure off by turning off the valve & releasing the pressure. Mine doesn't stick but it is much easier to turn out w/o pressure on it.  Cheers!!!
Title: Re: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: mainebrewer on January 14, 2011, 07:47:06 PM
Try letting the pressure off by turning off the valve & releasing the pressure. Mine doesn't stick but it is much easier to turn out w/o pressure on it.  Cheers!!!
Tried that last night. No luck.
Title: Re: Problem with CO2 regulator
Post by: mainebrewer on January 17, 2011, 02:15:33 PM
Over the weekend, I dribbled a little WD-40 on the adjusting screw, worked in back and forth for a couple of minutes and was able to free it up. (Not sure why I didn't think of the WD-40 since I'm a duct tape and WD-40 kind of guy.)
The screw threads appeared to be slightly damaged but I was able to move the screw throught its entire range without any issue.
Thanks for the help.