« on: March 07, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
The most that I've used in a 5.5 gallon batch is 18.5 oz. This was also before I practiced water chemistry and would add extra hops to bitter with. But I'd say I average 12 to 16 oz per 5 gallons now. I brew 11 gallon batches now.
Here is my last hop schedule:
FWH = 1 oz Southern Cross and 1 oz Columbus
60 Minute = 1 oz Southern Cross and 1 oz Columbus
5 Minute = 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Centennial, and 1 oz Equinox
175 degree whirlpool = 4 oz Cascade, 3 oz Amarillo, 3 oz Centennial, and 2 oz Equinox
Dry Hop = 2 oz Cascade, 4 oz Amarillo, 4 oz Centennial, and 2 oz Equinox
33 total ounces which is a few ounces more than normal, but it was also considered a hop clean out IPA before the new crop came in. I don't typically use Southern Cross, but I had a couple ounces that Yakima Valley had tossed into an order. I use Columbus 80% of the time for bittering an IPA. Chinook would be the other 20%. I'm also not opposed to using my flavor hops at the FWH addition either.