I only used about 5-7 in both instances and both times were flaked. So maybe something else is going wrong, but I've only noticed it recently happening in those two batches with oats. Kinda weird...
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Alright did alittle playing in ezcalc, my ph is alittle high at 5.6 but was thinking if I add some ph stabilizer could draw me down to the 5.2-5.4 range
3.75G calc. Chloride
2g epson salt
4 calc. Chloride
Chloride/sulfate ratio .80
Tht look good or what else should I adjust for the high pb
I would like to replace my current plastic sampling thief. Has anyone used the glass ones? Comments?
I'd guess mine is somewhere between 12-18". I tried different lengths and that was the last one I tried, so I left it. But shorter ones worked just as well. The braid I use is Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321). I think that may also have something to do with it. I've used the same braid in my cooler for 17 years and 473 batches and never had a stuck runoff or collapsed braid, which I hear from people who use other braids.
I had a few stuck sparges in a row and decided to adjust my mill gap to get bigger husks to assist in my sparge/lauter. Currently my mill gap is set at .045" and it's awesome in regards to lautering, but I've noticed my last 3 batches have all been about .10-.12 points short on my calculated OG. I know the standard gap on my barley crusher is .39", but I'm wondering how some of you set your gaps and whether you condition your malt (if you crush tight) and whether that's impacted your efficiency besides just your lautering process? Thanks!
I use a JSP adjustable mill and I have the gap set as tight as it will go. I've never measured it becasue I just don't care what it measures. It did indeed have a positive impact on efficiency. I have never had a stuck runoff, do not use hulls or condition the grain before milling. I think it has as much to do with your lautering system as the crush.
two changes i made in order that raised my efficiency: switched to batch sparge from fly sparge, and tightened gap on mill to .027. went from 60's-70's to mid to high 80's.
just play around with the crush, and find what your system will tolerate.
EDIT: forgot about my mash-i also mash in on average about 1.75-2.00 qts/lb
I know that a longer boil will give me a more potent wort and slightly raise my OG, but I was wondering if a longer boil also impacts the fermentability of my wort? I am wanting to use a 2 hour boil on a big SMaSH beer to give some more depth of character, but do not want it to finish high and be cloyingly sweet. Any input or experience here?
it won't affect your fermentability but it will affect your FG because what unfermentable sugars are there will be concentrated along with everything else. the mash, grist, etc. will set the likely Attenuation percentage and this percentage won't change due to a longer boil (it'll be 77% for example whether you start at 1.050 or you boil down to 1.075 but the 1.075 is going to have 50% more unfermentables so the FG might be 50% higher (1.018 instead of 1.012). Although I doubt it would be that significant or linear.one other thing...
there is a speed method that is utilized in the famous 'skotrat's traquair house' recipe - you boil down the first gallon of first runnings to a quart and add that to the main boil - this definitely gives you some interesting flavor, and doesn't add much time. just make sure you watch that small boil carefully...
this is where I would go with it to deepen the character. or just lot's more malt. a Single malt beer can be very complex if it's north of 1.100
Yes, 100% MO or GP boiled for 4 hours to get to 1.115 will turn out to have a lot of malt character.
Maillard reactions will happen, darkening the wort and adding yummy malty flavors.