Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - jkirkham

Pages: [1]
1
Yeast and Fermentation / Soy sauce stout
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
I brewed a milk chocolate oatmeal stout on 10/24 and today 11/6 I transferred the batch to a secondary. I tasted some of the beer and it taste like soy sauce. I was wondering how this happened, or causes for this. I mashed in low but raised the temp to 152* and used dry yeast, Windsor from Danstar/lallemand. The beer fermented between 63-68* which is my house temperature. And it looked to have completed fermentation in 4 days.

I rehydrated the yeast and used two packs because I was shooting for 8%abv.

The following was my grain build and hop schedule.

12lbs maris otter
2 chocolate
1 black
1 crystal 75
1 flaked wheat

East Kent holdings at 60 and 20 min (1oz each addition).
15 minutes 1 lb lactose
15 min whirlflock and yeast nutrient
10 minutes fuggle
5 minutes fuggle

I ended up boiling for 75 minutes. And I added oxygen from a tank prior to pitching the yeast.
Is there a way I can clean this up? And thoughts on why it might taste like soy sauce?

I have read about the yeast dying and people have blamed the chocolate malt.
Looking for advice and feedback.

Thanks for helping.


2
Beer Recipes / Acid malt Berliner Weisse
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
I am interested in making a fake Berliner Weisse style and had a few questions.
Most of what I read says 10-20% of the grain build would require acidulated malt. The other 90-80% Pilsner and some Wheat.  One recipe I found recommended 3lbs acid malt with 2lbs Wheat and 9lbs pale.  I was going to use Pilsner instead of pale malt.

I do not plan on using any lacto bugs or lactic acid, I really just want to play with the acid malt.  Some things I have been reading say I do not even need to boil this, some say boil for only 15 minutes.

Here is my current plan for a 5 gallon all grain batch.
Use distilled water.
Mash in Pilsner and Wheat malts for 30 minutes at 156* at 30 minutes add acidulated malt to lower Ph, mash for another 30 minutes. Rinse grains at 170*
Achieve boil and pitch 1.0oz Mittelfruh at 20 minutes.
Crash and pitch a farm house style strain.

Does this sound bats*** crazy, or does anybody think it can work?  I am just looking for a very light and tart beer.
Comments, suggestions?


3
Yeast and Fermentation / Alt beer wyeast2124
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Yesterday I made what I hope turns out to be an altbeer or if passable some form of bock.
I step-mashed this beer at 134* and mashed out around 170*. My boil went on for 120 minutes and I added hops at 60 20 and flame out. At 10 minutes I added whirlflock and some yeast nutrient.
This ended up being a 5 gallon batch. I missed my gravity a bit. It read 1.040 after I crashed it to the 70s.
Because the yeast activator (smack pack) was the same temp as the cooled wart I pitched the yeast as the worth continued to crash. It is currently around 58* but does not look very active.
I plan to keg this beer and slowly crash it down to 34* after primary.
Because I am not using the wyeast1008 German ale yeast, what might I expect from this?
Should I do a diacetyl rest because I am using a lager strain?
Please let me know what sounds best. This is for a September comp and I was late in planning. My homebrew shop was also out of the yeast I needed.

4
Kegging and Bottling / Brett and sour beer bottling
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
I have two beers I will be bottling in a few months and am looking for help/information on how I might be able to condition these beers.

First I have a saison that stalled at 1.020 using 3711 yeast. I added brett b after moving the batch into secondary. I want to bottle the beer in mid August for an October competition. In the secondary the beer looks to be infected. Almost like a moon colony or something. How should I bottle condition this beer? Or what should my next steps be? I use 750ml bottles and my last beer I bottled I used yeast and sugar to carbonate.

The second beer I have is also a saison but with wlp550. I just brewed this and it is still in primary. I want to spike this with wlp655 after it finishes.

Should I bottle these two beers in a similar fashion? I do not have a bottling gun and use an auto syphon and bottling bucket.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pages: [1]