Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - gcam333

Pages: [1]
Yeast and Fermentation / US-04
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
I am boiling up a 1.054 ESB (Target) Should I go with 1 pack US-04 or 2 ?
Thanks in advance, I dont want to over attenuate.

Yeast and Fermentation / Mocktoberfest with 1007 German ale yeast
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »
A couple of questions I have been trying to ferment this at around 58 degrees with a swamp cooler and ice bottles. I dosed off one night without changing the bottles and over night it shot up to 68 (major blowout). This was on day 3 of fermentation. Other than that spike I've kept it at 54-60 for 10 days. will that one spike hurt me. I've never used this yeast before, I still have a full krausen and some bubbling after 10 days. How long can it go, and will the krausen ever fall?

Extract/Partial Mash Brewing / SA Summer Ale
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:03:17 AM »
Need some critique if you please.
I decided to make a Kinda Sorta SA Summer Ale loosely based on some recipe s I've seen on line. I could not wait of course and chilled a bottle after only 5 days conditioning. Of course the carbonation was a little low, but what concerned me was that the taste was a little watery. Here's what I did let me know what you think. I'm learning, and it will be taken gladly whatever you say.

5.25 gal Batch
4.0 Gal Boil

6.0 Liq Breiss Wheat Ext 
1.0 Amber DME
1.0 Crystal 20  Steeped 30 min at 155

.50 oz Perle Pellets @45
.50 oz Cascade Pellets @ 10
.1/4 tsp Grains of Paradis @ 10
2 tsp Coriander@ 10
1 /2 Navel Orange sliced @10
Zest of 1 lemon @ 10
50Cascade pellets @ 2
.50 oz Perle Pellts @2
pitched a 1 liter starter of 1010

Primary 14 days
Let me know what you think


General Homebrew Discussion / Broken Hydrometer
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
I brewed an Amercan Wheat yesterday, can't wait to try it. After I pulled my sample for the Hydrometer jar I pitched the yeast, areated, put the airlock on, and  for the 3rd time I broke my Hydrometer taking it out of the package. I'm making a habit out of this.
There is not a local shop near me, and it will be Friday before I can get a new one. My question is will my sample still be good to get an OG on Friday, since I have it refrigerated and have not pitched the yeast can I still get decent reading after 4 days?
Thanks in advance.

Yeast and Fermentation / Wyeast 1010 Activator
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
I am making an American Wheat Hybrid this weekend. OG should be 1.055. Is there any need to make a starter at this OG?

Kegging and Bottling / How long to bottle condition before Chilling
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
If your bottling builds up ahead of your consumption, how long can you safely let the brew bottle condition unchilled without harm? What is the safe temp range for conditioning as well.

Extract/Partial Mash Brewing / Missed OG
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:24:36 AM »
I brewed my second batch this weekend. Decided to semi come up with a recipe that I would call a big IPA. I used the calculator on tastybrew. I tried to be very precise even used digital scales and a stopwatch . According to the calculator my OG should have been 1.066, Actual was 1.073. Is this within the normal margin of error? I also made a starter out of SA-05 because of the high OG and have had a good strong fermentation for 36 hrs. I'm pretty sure I have enough yeast to finish it off.
I'm learning slowly.

General Homebrew Discussion / Cloudy Beer
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
I just bottled my first batch over the weekend. The beer is much cloudier than I expected. The attenuation was also a little low.
As always, I did some research after the fact....(isn't that how you do it?)  I think it is possible that I did not reach the "hot break".  I never did get the real roiling boil as is described. My stove only gave it a light boil I would say. I never reached the point of foaming over of the pot. Not even close. Does this sound like a possible cause? Does anyone think that it will be drinkable after conditioning? As I was warned,   you learn a lt from your first batch. All comments are appreciated.


Yeast and Fermentation / Major slowdown in Fermentation
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:16:45 PM »
I started my first batch on Saturday. Things went pretty smooth for the most part. Just the typical rookie mistakes I guess.
Sealed up the fermenter, took 2 steps away and remebered the yeast. Opened it back up and added the yeast, dry sprinkled on top. Then I knocked over my cylinder of wort before I could check the OG. Decided not to open it again. Just moved on .This was at 3:30 Sat afternoon. Placed the fermenter in a container of water with a T-Shirt over it for cooling like suggested by MAJORVICES. This worked very well keeping the wort in the low 60's. By Sunday AM 7:00 had active fermentation. Continuous bubbling in he airlock. 11:00pm Sunday night still very active. This morning (Mon AM) the bubbling had slowed to one gurgle every 20 sec.  Is this normal? Or am I just paranoid? It just seems like it should not have slowed down so dramatically.

Yeast and Fermentation / Fermenting Times
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
I am going to start my first batch next week. Midwest's -Autumn Ale. Typically would 7 days primary, 4 weeks secondary,
3 weeks minimum in the bottle be sufficient?  ( at 70-74 degrees) I don't want to screw up my first batch.

Kegging and Bottling / New Bottles vs Used
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
Is it safe to re-use commercial beer bottles (non-screw) or should you always use returnable type?

Kegging and Bottling / mini kegs
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »
I am about to take the plunge into home brewing. For more than one reason I am not ready to go full bore kegging. What are the
+ -  of the mini keg systems that are out there. Volume wise space wise this seems like a fit for me.
All help is much appreciated.

Pages: [1]