So today I made an attempt at a standard bitter, essentially as a large, drinkable starter to grow up enough yeast for an attempt at "The Queen's Diamonds" English Barleywine from Denny and Drew's "Experimental Home Brewing." Most of the batches I have been making are in the 1.065 and up range and I have been getting efficiencies in the high 60s-low 70s. I am still trying to dial in a system upgrade with a new larger brew kettle. I knew I would have better efficiency on a 6G batch of 1.038 OG Bitter, so I adjusted my efficiency number in Beersmith up to 74%. This was obviously not high enough. I did boil off an extra quart, but finished with 5.75G at 1.046, calculated at almost 86% efficiency. Needless to say, I am pleased with the efficiency on such a low OG brew, just wish I had planned on it being that high. My "Nothing Special About It" ordinary bitter is now actually in the "Special" range (and I am going to have to change the name,
) Grist was 7#13oz Crisp MO(first experience with this malt, it is the Glen Eagles Malting I had asked about previously in another post) and 6.7oz of C120. Mashed with 5g of treated RO(targeting 5.4 pH), and sparged with 3.75G treated RO. This was easily my thinnest mash to date, at 2.43qt/# to get in the ball park of equal runnings. With the notes from anther thread about sparge options I believe, maybe this should have been a no sparge batch. Either way, I will update after fermentation about the progress of this batch.The color and clarity in my hydrometer sample are wonderful, will post a pic soon. Really no questions here, just sharing my experience, if you see something that seems out of place though, please let me know.