I am going to be installing a bar with 4 taps in my basement soon and am looking to find a 24 inch stainless steel rinser drip tray. Does anyone know of somewhere I could find one of these? I haven't been able to find much online so far.
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Let it be at this point. Most Belgian yeasts are pretty hardy and also tend to stick around in suspension so you should be fine, but as you have surmised it's not a good idea ever to rack before fermentation is finished.If you let fermentation complete in the primary and do not plan to add anything more to the beer, is there any point to rack in a secondary fermenter?
Sounds like the beer is freezing, as Amanda asked, where is the probe?Well it looks like that was exactly the problem . I moved the probe closer to the bottom of the keggerator and the temp dropped over 10 degrees to the mid 20s. Hopefully the freezing won't affect taste now....
Where is your temp probe measuring 39F from?The probe is hanging off one of the CO2 lines into open air so is measuring ambient air temp. Now that I think more about it. The probe is near the top of the freezer so maybe air is warmer there? Wouldn't think it would make much difference though as the collar is insulated.
Have you checked the gravity? How long has it been since you transferred. In the future you would want to check gravity at least twice a few days apart. It should be at least close to what you expect for a final gravity and be at the same gravity if you check it say two or three days apart. For now check the gravity if you haven't already. If its on the high side for now I would still wait a few days, most likely it is just slowed down. Some yeast would have been racked over to secondary and it just needs to build up. What temp is it? I recommend you let it get up to 75 ish to finish. If the gravity is high and not moving in several days you can pitch a very large starter of neutral yeast to finish but I bet you won't need to. Also make sure to test your hydrometer in plain water at the recommended temp on the paper that comes with.I transferred last night and after realizing I should have checked the gravity before, I checked it when it was already in the secondary. Reading was 1.026 with a goal of 1.010. I have it at 70 degrees now. There are still signs of good fermentation so maybe I'll be ok?
It's unlikely that there is a problem.
Generally, if you are going to move to secondary, you should wait till you know the fermentation is complete. You know this because two gravity readings several days apart will be the same.
That said, 1.011 sounds in line with what i would expect. I suspect there was a temp change and/or the hops provided nucleation sites for co2 bubbles so more co2 is coming out of solution.
That said, keep an eye on the gravity and if it keeps dropping it means either it wasn't done when you moved it and now it's finishing up in which case, yay! or you picked up a more attenuative yeast somewhere along the way in which case, well you'll have to wait and see, might still be yay!
Going forward, you can skip the secondary most of the time. in this case with the pliny and the heavy dry hopping getting the beer off the yeast first can be beneficial but most of the time it's more effort for no real return and offers some rick of infection or oxidation.