My confusion comes in where my recipe guide says "after all apparent bubbling has stopped for approximately 3 days, and if the specific gravity is where it needs to be (1.062 is what my guide tells me) then the beer is finished fermenting".
If your kit references a gravity of 1.062, that is the original gravity before fermentation, not the final gravity post-fermentation. The final gravity depends on a lot of different factors (yeast strain, fermentation temperature, mash temp (or extract variety if you are brewing extract), etc.). Assuming you are brewing with extract, it's likely to be somewhere in the mid teens.
You want to leave your beer in primary until it is finished fermenting (specific gravity is no longer dropping) and the yeast have had a few extra days to clean up some of the less desirable compounds created during fermentation.
This brewer told me that I needed to heat the beer up (only by 3-4 degrees in F) for 24-48 hours, which he said would kill off some impurities that would cause skunkiness and off flavoring, then transfer to a secondary fermenter and give that fermenter two whole weeks before bottling.
It is not uncommon for brewers to let the fermentation temperature rise a few degrees near the end of fermentation to help ensure that the yeast stays active, finishes consuming the fermentable sugars, and cleans up some of the compounds I referenced above. I think this is likely what your friend was referring to. Skunkiness is caused by an interaction between ultraviolet light and compounds in the beer contributed by the hops. It has nothing to do with warming the beer up near the end of fermentation.
You mention that the beer has only been fermenting for 4 days. Personally, I would leave it alone for at least two weeks from brew day. At that point, you can check the gravity and see where it's at. You could then wait another few days and check the gravity again to be sure fermentation is finished.
Once fermentation is complete and the yeast has had some time clean up, you have a few choices. You can leave the beer alone for a bit and wait for yeast and other particulate to drop out of suspension (which will help keep this material out of the bottles), you can transfer to a secondary vessel and let it clarify there, or you can go ahead and package. If the beer looks fairly clear and you are careful when siphoning to the bottling bucket, I would go ahead and package.
Are you planning on dry hopping this beer? Also, what type of yeast did you use, how much did you pitch, and at what temperature is the beer currently fermenting?