« on: June 28, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
My local water treatment facility has just announced that they are starting to adding phosphate (via phosphoric acid) to gradually reduce the pH of our drinking water from 8.9 to 7.5. The reason given is to reduce the amount of chlorine (chlorine dioxide) used and thus reduce chlorine byproducts. The plan is to implement this over an 15-18 month period. Since they are adding acid, instead of reducing the lime they add currently, what impact do you think this will have? My most recent profile water profile is Ca 12 Mg 2 NA 7 Cl9 SO4 5 CaCO3 26.