« on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
My blue Rubbermaid cooler turned into a mash tun. I fell in love with a model that has the drain in front instead of one of the ends.
After purchasing, I found the inner drainage channel to be very steep, making it difficult to use fittings to attach a valve. I found the drain to be an off-size that is a bit too big for 1/2" pipe and fittings. I could have returned it, but was determined to make it work. So after buying enough fittings and cpvc, copper, and stainless piping to fill a storage shelf, I found no other alternative to make it work and keep from leaking other than food grade silicone.
What started out as a project to have a nice looking functional mash tun, turned out to be a beat up siliconed disaster. It works fine now, but I could have saved a ton of money and time if I'd gone with a traditional and much cheaper setup.