« on: January 19, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
1. What's your usual batch size?
I still brew 5 gallons. But also have been brewing smaller batches, usually around 3 gallons
2. Why do you brew small batches?
My wife is pretty much only into hoppy beers, so its 5 gallons of stuff we both like. I like pretty much everything and I didn’t want 5 gallons of something I am the only one drinking. A lot of it would probably get dumped. I started brewing smaller batches for batches only I wanted. I also started testing out different ingredients, hops, yeasts,etc and didn’t want 5 gallon test batches.
3. Do you brew, extract, partial mash, all grain?
4. What's your basic process? I.E., BIAB, tiny cooler , just stir in the extract, etc.
Basic process. Exactly. I don’t think I can get any more basic. I would post pictures, but if anybody I knew saw them, Im pretty sure it would be like when a magician reveals his trick and the crowd is disappointed on how simple it really was. I don’t want to disappoint anyone. If I do a small enough batch, it is all on the kitchen stove, but our stove is pretty weak, so even 3 gallons will have me outside.
5. Do you have a favorite piece of equipment that you like to use especially for small batches?
Only things I use different are my 3 gallon kegs. I really like these smaller kegs, but they are pin locks and I wouldn’t exactly say they are my favorite.
6. If you've brewed larger batches how would you comapre the two in terms of effort? Time? Equipment needs? Recipe consistency?
I don’t find I save a lot of time or effort doing 3 gallons as opposed to 5 gallons. My equipment can handle at least 10 gallons so it totally overkill for small batches. If I just started and I was only going to brew 3 gallons, I would buy smaller brew pots and fermenters. My recipes are pretty consistent no matter what the batch size.
7. What am I missing that should be known about small batch brewing?
3 gallons works out for me. I don’t drink a lot so smaller batches means more variety, but it’s a double edged sword. If I don’t like the beer, it’s only 3 gallons. If I really like the beer, it’s only 3 gallons.