What should a mash PH be, and how to measure it easily/cheaply? Will test papers for aquariums work?
There was actually a long thread about this on here somewhere not too long ago. The basic understanding I came away from that with is...
1. Actual pH at mash temperature is around 0.3 lower than actual pH at room temperature.
2. Target pH should be 5.1 to 5.4 at mash temperature which is the same as 5.4 to 5.7 at room temperature.
3. Colorphast test strips at room temperature give a reading that is approximately 0.3 lower than actual room temperature pH.
4. Colorphast test strips give the same reading at mash temp as they do at room temp.
5. Therefore, you can use the strips to test your mash pH at either temperature and the reading you get will correspond to the mash temp pH which should be between 5.1 and 5.4