Cool. Get well and enjoy. No rush on my end. The homebrew bombers should go first, they were filled off a keg.
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
At least they announce it before it happens.
As for NHC2016, thanks anyways...I guess I really on need to wait a few more weeks to find out for sure.
a reasonable question might be, will we know '16 location, at '15 NHC?
Looking forward to taking the June tasting exam. Hopefully I will know my results before the 2016 winter to spring circuit happens, but I won't sweat it if it takes longer. By taking a class with a very knowledgable beer judge and hearing feedback from those with whom I have judged this spring, I am comfortable judging with whatever rank I achieve, if any....I have learned that I perceive what I perceive and just put it down in writing for the benefit of the brewer and roll on. The really advanced judges are best at quickly articulating what they perceive and drawing conclusions from that to suggest corrective action. I am getting better at the suggested corrective actions and I tried to still do that with the NHC shorthand scoring sheet when possible.Fantastic point of view!
I would not expect the graders to give up time to do the tasting judge review quickly - they still have a life and are probably tied up in a way that prevents them from going forward to complete the grading any quicker. I feel your pain on the delay, but everyone involved is a volunteer and I volunteer for a lot of different things in many areas, so I appreciate that a person can be pulled in many directions.
Just my 2 lincoln's and I could be persuaded to think differently, but put yourself in the shoes of the graders and look at what else they may have on their plate and the volunteer in me says cut them some slack...let's hope we can all have a quicker and more responsive scoring system, but realize that the number of graders needs to increase. If you can someday grade exams, please volunteer to do so.
I have one of those growler filler type tubes that has a double o-ring stainless plug in the tap end and a ten inch or so tube that extends into the bottle. It isn't the way I would fill bottles for long term storage but it works well enough for comps or sending in a swap....I need to grab one. I'm tired of wrangling the cobra just to fill a couple bottles.
I did this for the current swap and Toby can vouch for how it goes.
As with many Homebrew issues - YMMV.
I'm tracking ya. All good.Thanks guys. Let's see how this goes. If its a hit, maybe we'll tweak the procedure a bit and try it again in the fall. Summer and winter are busy times and not the best conditions for shipping. For now, the train has barely left the station. Lets see how it goes.I totally agree. I think what we are doing now is great. My suggestions are not criticisms about this but brainstorming for next time. Also agree that shipping in the summer isn't great. I think mid September at the earliest.
Its in Mesquite, Tx. Delivers tomorrow.I just tracked it. Good lord, it took 3 days to go 100 miles. But its in SLC now. Says its two days out from your door.QuoteMatt, box is shipped. Tell Chris hi, the box originally came from him. Tracking number emailed.
Thanks Jim! Will do... gotta catch up with him after their week at the Craft Brewers Conference. Looked like a really good one.
I don't often make starters any longer except for lagers or if the yeast in not as fresh as I am comfortable with. I start with a beer whose gravity is lower than 1.050, aerate well and then just pitch the yeast. Then I harvest that yeast for whatever series of beers I have planned.Cheater! Hey, I dont make starters either. Just a tiny batch of unhopped pale mild.
My concern would be what else is in there that may react to oxygen. I'd be more confident oxygenating after a 15 minute boil to kill off whatever may have taken hold. You'll probably be fine though.Ya I'm no expert. Especially not with lacto and sac yeast. I know Bret will throw some acetic if O2 is present. And nothing cleans up acetic.The Lacto was direct pitched at 85° F for around 52 hours. Since my pH isn't moving, I chilled the beer last night to 67° and will pitch my starter today at high krausen and had planned on hitting beer with o2 first. This schedule was recently recommended by Matt Miller (aka Dr. Lambic) on a Basic Brewing podcast in Jan. I'll listen again today and reference American Sour Beers first.
Someone else may be able to chime in on that. But if it were me with no other suggestions, I'd build a huge pitch and toss it in without oxygenation
What temp has the lacto been at?
I know you definitely want to avoid o2 with Brett, but there isn't any in there (yet).