« on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
Some great advice, and I am going to take all of this into account next batch.
1. I didn't have a chance to check what Beersmith was set at for efficiency.
2. I used 10lbs because I was under the impression 5-5.5 gal batches generally used 8-10 lbs of grain (and I'll admit, 10lbs was an easy number to work with). From what I've read here, I need to adjust that weight for effiicency.
3. I will try a thinner mash.
4. Rice hulls - Again, I was under the impression they should be used for mashes with wheat, but I realize now that I may have read that for flaked wheat/rye etc.
5. I will definately start keeping (better) track of volumes etc.
6. I did a lot of research on the water with mineral content/chlorine, but I didn't really consider pH. Again, being used to all grain and partial mash brewing I was never really concerned with it, especially since I used bottled water.
7. Temperature control - Figuring out my system so I get the proper temperatures for mash and sparge. (Using 185 deg as opposed to 168 deg for sparging and preheating my mash tun).
8. I will ask for a second crush on my grains.
Further, I've checked out the howtobrew resource for efficiency and it definately helps me understand a lot more.
I really appreciate the feedback.