Oh yeah... here's the thread I was really looking for. Too bad I didn't find this until AFTER I already brewed my experiment.
Bring out your dead..... KLACK!
If anyone's interested, I got a round tuit. Experiment formally in progress. Tee hee.
It will be a tale of two Marzens, same recipe, different mashes and different efficiencies:
Batch #1: Decocted, sparged, 81% efficiency.
Batch #2: Single infused, no-sparge, 64% efficiency.
You could say that it's a double or triple variable test, not suitable for blind triangles, and I don't care. I just want to see if no-sparge is as awesome as I think it is, and decoction as much a waste of time as I think it might be, even if I did do a fast one in less than 4 hours. Git er done and raise more questions than answers, or something.
I was shooting for an OG of 1.054 originally. Unfortunately, Batch #1 the gravity was a touch low, 1.049. Then I adjusted the malt bill down slightly for Batch #2, but it still turned out just a tad high, 1.053. You figure that's close enough for comparison purposes? The efficiencies are still way different with a spread of 17% with only 4 gravity points difference. Or should I add extract to Batch #1 to match Batch #2? I don't want to fiddle too much if I can help it. I'm thinking I'll just leave it, cuz you can't probably taste 4 gravity points difference especially after it's all fermented out -- final gravity points will still be pretty close within 2-3 points of each other probably in the low teens.
Also got around to finally bottling that cyser today that I made last Oct/Nov. Smelled great. Too bad I can't drink today. But ahh.............. it was a really, really good day today. I feel like I've redeemed myself slightly.
More facts and figures:
Both batches were BIAB on my stovetop, 1.3 gallons each. Yeah, yeah, I don't drink much and wanted the day done before midnight. What time is it? The clock on the wall says 12-o-clock.
Adding up all the rests for the Batch #1 double decoction, I determined that for the average molecule in contact with enzymes in a temperature range of 140-165 F, the total time in that temp range was about 55 minutes, plus or minus 5 minutes. Overall average rest temperature was about 153-154 F for the most time. So...
For Batch #2, I went ahead and did the single infusion at an average 153 F, with a range of about 147-156 F for various readings. Temperature was stable in the 150s until the last ~10 minutes of the mash, which is way beyond the 40 minute mashes that I'm used to anyway so I know it didn't really matter much.
And oops. I forgot to vorlauf Batch #1. Batch #2 was real chunky so I just HAD to vorlauf. Batch #1 looks like 80% scrambled eggs in the fermenter. Batch #2 just got done, looks hazy still. EDIT: After 12 hours, they looked basically identical -- see photo below.
Recipe.... not these exact ingredients, I had to make a couple minor substitutions and didn't use any chocolate malt, but in the spirit of the following:
Speaking of which.... the only hops used were my homegrown Hallertau, 2015 crop, estimated alpha 4.8%, 60-minute addition only, no late hops.
Boil lengths were identical, 65 minutes each. Hop additions were identical, 0.33 oz each at 60. Used same salts in each to hit Munich water profile.
Malt bills had all the same percentages of each, but single infusion no-sparge Batch #2 had more total mass 2.95 lb versus decocted sparged Batch #1, 2.18 lb. Yes, I crunched a ton of numbers to come up with all this junk, and it turned out reasonably awesome I think.
I've gotta go to bed. Talk to some of ya'll tomorrow.