The taste is rather medicinal with a metallic type edge to it.
Things I would check, in order of descending likelihood:
1. Under-pitching and/or pitching and fermenting too warm. Easy fix.
2. Using a bleach-bearing cleanser without a thorough hot water rinse. Easy fix.
3. Water composition, with chlorine/chloramines being most likely. Chlorine can be removed by boiling the liquor or leaving it out overnight; either can be removed using sodium/potassium metabisulfite (Campden).
4. A persistent low-level contamination. Have him replace all plastics and pasteurize everything else (15 min at >180°F).
Here's what HTB has to say:
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.