General Homebrew Discussion / Re: Please help our Engineering Senior Design Project by filling out this survey!« on: September 30, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
I agree with you Carl
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
2 weeks? That is not ripping. My typical ale ferments are done in less than a week.
But with respect to the results above, my 1.069 batch did finish out in 2 weeks. Maybe that is typical.
I have a spigot/valve on all my fermenters. I attach a tube and mesh bag and open the valve, done. Got rid of all my carboys, my first or second favorite brewing omission, not bottling being the other. Simple and efficient.
GASP! Not HSA!!!!!!
Yeah, it CAN happen....personal experience.
I just had a duh moment. If it's going to be for lagering and cold crash, a used fridge will work instead of freezer and controller
The reality of brewing is as much as I like to do it it just isn't fun to watch someone brew beer.
Yum, I miss the glissade.
I can imagine you snarking up the new seasonal...redipa.
Let us know how you progress. Cheers.
Flipside hasn't hit the shelves yet I keep looking for it and hope to snag some soon.
You may be disappointed...I was. Not a bad beer, but nothing special. Kinda bland.
no carboy cap
Of course, you're using buckets aren't you?
Yeah, but I do exactly the same on the rare occasions I use carboys.
I brew in my kitchen on a gas stove, so rather than one large kettle, I use two smaller ones. Before I chill, I move my wort to my fermenter (Ale Pail), which is lined with a paint strainer bag. So I'm only moving something less than 3 gal at a time; not ideal but better than over 5 gal at a time. I figure that my cooling has to be a bit more efficient for not having to cool the thermal mass of the kettles and the hot trub.
OTOH, you risk HSA by xferring wort over 180F.
At 1.069, I wish I had pitched 2 packets. I don't think a single was enough.
I've only done it a few times, but it has worked for me so far. I start by adding about an ounce of 1.020 wort to the dregs in the bottle. It usually takes a few days to see a small krausen form. By a week or so I step it up once more in the bottle by filling it about 1/2 to 2/3 full with my usual strength starter wort. From there I'll pitch it into a half gallon starter for the final step.
I don't bother decanting the step up starters since I want to get any yeast still in suspension as well. Saccharomyces strains get capped with foil and swirled frequently, while sours get a stopper and airlock to keep oxygen out.
I've heard others recommend using a very small amount of wort for the initial step (barely enough to cover the dregs), but by using a little more you can actually see and smell whether things are progressing as hoped.
Good info, thanks. Do you think I went too big on the first step to 3/4 liter?
Are you pitching one or two 11 g packets for 5 gallons of wort?
I use a 8gal bucket or 6.5gal glass carboy for a primary fermentation and haven't needed to do a blow-off hose for a 5 gal batch. I do, however, prefer the 5gal glass carboy as a secondary fermentor because it has much less headspace so the beer doesn't oxidize. Though I'm under the impression very few people have oxidation problems.
I would. 45 minutes is nothing. People around here drive hours to The Alchemist (2 hours for me) to get a case of Heady Topper ( aka East Coast Pliny).
I drive 45 minutes for my homebrew club meetings, dinner, and halfway home out of Boston on a Friday rush hour (when I used to work there).
Mort...there's only hype for the people who can't get it ...that and those damned beer rating sites!
Get a few friends together and make a day of it. I'd hope that there are other things to do in that area worth the drive. Find something cool to do then use the excuse of "since I'm in town" and have a couple pints of Pliny!