Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sours  (Read 3125 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Sours
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 10:03:28 am »
It's been a while but as I recall, several brewers had issues with sours.  Mainly that once you get the funk in your brewery its next to impossible to get rid of it.

Just recently I bought an old favorite commercial IPA, I noticed a certain flavor in it that wasn't there before... but it is one of their other brews... a hemp flavor.  It wasn't horrible but wasn't what I wanted when I bought this beer...I'll be very hesitant to buy there beers again now.  So, you see funk  can be great, but not if it effects everything else too.  Just something to consider.   ;-)

Proper cleaning and sanitation will avoid most of these problems. I share bottling equipment and glass fermentation vessels between clean and brett/sour beer without problems. I have some plastic carboys I only use for sour beer because I don't trust that I can 100% clean the interior.

However, the simplest solution is to just keep a separate set of equipment for sour/brett beers. Most homebrewers replace racking/bottling equipment over time. That's a perfect way to build up a set of non-clean beer equipment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing