Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer glass cleaner question  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer glass cleaner question
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:35 pm »

As far as the fragrance, once you can't smell it, it's gone! 
This is one of my fundamental principles of brewery cleaning and sanitation.  I like a product that comes with a built  in sensory indicator.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
I use my wife and daughters.  I empty the glass and rinse it, set it with all the other dishes and it gets cleaned magically.  Whatever SWMBO uses is what they get washed with. ;D

I think it only works because I move all the snow and fix everything that gets broken or damaged around the house.  ::)

Paul

** Edited to fix typos because I can't proof read.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:04 pm »

** Edited to fix typos because I can't proof read.

Sounds like another job for wife & daughters.  ;D

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 06:25:45 pm »
I've never tried rinsing with cold water before pouring as some of you mention.  I'll have to try this and see what it does!

Just tried rinsing with cold water, here's my impression.   Seems to me to have inhibited foaming during the pour, leaving less, not more, head, and my pint too gassy.  I believe in forming a nice foam stand at the start, which will remain as the pint is drunk as long as your beer has the colloidal cojones to maintain it,  although this extra gas may keep generating lacing as the glass goes down.*  But it's all out of balance and looks kind of decapitated.   Not worth the extra step; as my pour wasn't broke, I ain't gonna fix it.  (You know, I always figured the old ritual  of the bartender rinsing the glass on a fountain, as well as knocking off the head with a beer comb, was just theatrics to make an inflated price seem more plausible.)

*[EDIT Nope, regular pour gives superior lacing too.]

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:48:39 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:59 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the bartenders in Amsterdam pour their Heineken and take a theatric knife pass across the top to create a line of a dozen or so perfect beers for the ladies to deliver. Beer tastes better when the atmosphere is awesome. Good times. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 08:06:43 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the bartenders in Amsterdam pour their Heineken and take a theatric knife pass across the top to create a line of a dozen or so perfect beers for the ladies to deliver. Beer tastes better when the atmosphere is awesome. Good times. Worth every penny.

I remember in Germany in the 80s, the "7 minute pour" was the fad with Pils.  Just like the Guinness routine.  But you're on to something, it built atmosphere that enhanced the experience,  although in truth aroma, flavor and texture were surely lost.  The perfect beer and the perfect beer drinking experience aren't necessarily mutually dependent.  Still, at home, I'll optimize my beer.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 09:40:42 pm »

I remember in Germany in the 80s, the "7 minute pour" was the fad with Pils.  Just like the Guinness routine.  But you're on to something, it built atmosphere that enhanced the experience,  although in truth aroma, flavor and texture were surely lost.  The perfect beer and the perfect beer drinking experience aren't necessarily mutually dependent.  Still, at home, I'll optimize my beer.

Ah yes, Germany in the 80(s)... I was in Mannheim ‘87-‘90. The wall fell while I was there. Trabants everwhere!  LOL. We had our favorite Sportplatz, Gasthouses and Hausbrauerie from Mannheim to Heidelberg. I fell in love with the Export style in general, Woinemer Hausbrauerie Dunkel, and Schmucker bier.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 07:04:21 am »
Dishwasher for the "general use" glasses, all logo/etched/painted glasses get hand washed.

Nothing I've every tried on the hand wash glasses ever cleans as reliably as the dishwasher. Always end up with bubbles somewhere.

Another point on using the dishwasher for beer glasses.  I had some old Bud Light shaker pints that a distributor gave us at a restaurant one evening (before I stopped drinking the stuff).  We used to put them in the dishwasher and in addition to becoming etched, they picked up a lasting odor from the dishwasher detergent that would not go away.  It most likely became entrenched in the etching in  the glass.  I could always smell it whenever I used the glasses to get a beer out of the tap.  That cured me from using the dishwasher for beer glasses.  And oh yes, I threw those glasses away!

Note to Rob on using cold water to rinse the glass before pouring a beer.  The water coats the sides of the glass preventing nucleation points that rob carbonation out of the beer thus reducing head retention. That's why a lot of breweries and tap rooms rinse their glasses before filling them.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 09:40:22 am »
Note to Rob on using cold water to rinse the glass before pouring a beer.  The water coats the sides of the glass preventing nucleation points that rob carbonation out of the beer thus reducing head retention. That's why a lot of breweries and tap rooms rinse their glasses before filling them.

Yes, and whether you need this and how well it works depends on your water.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 10:02:07 am »

Yes, and whether you need this and how well it works depends on your water.
And again, it seemed to have the opposite effect for me.  Probably a lot of variables, including the human one.  Since I get ideal results from dish liquid, a good rinse and drip dry, and a dry glass, I'll stick with it,  and serve as an example that this can be a viable method.  As always, everyone's best practices will be determined empirically.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 10:15:58 am »
Dishwasher for the "general use" glasses, all logo/etched/painted glasses get hand washed.

Nothing I've every tried on the hand wash glasses ever cleans as reliably as the dishwasher. Always end up with bubbles somewhere.

Another point on using the dishwasher for beer glasses.  I had some old Bud Light shaker pints that a distributor gave us at a restaurant one evening (before I stopped drinking the stuff).  We used to put them in the dishwasher and in addition to becoming etched, they picked up a lasting odor from the dishwasher detergent that would not go away.  It most likely became entrenched in the etching in  the glass.  I could always smell it whenever I used the glasses to get a beer out of the tap.  That cured me from using the dishwasher for beer glasses.  And oh yes, I threw those glasses away!

I have noticed this sometimes, but it's not a usual issue. Typically it can be attributed to the detergent and the amount of it used, rinse aid, how the glass was dried, and so on.

Even if it was a consistent issue, it still wouldn't keep me from running my everyday glasses through the dishwasher. I'm not running each beer I drink through a full sensory analysis, and I don't usually notice any residual aromas/flavors in my drink ware anyway. Maybe a good yardstick would be to put filtered tap water in a drinking glass that's been through the wash, and see what you notice in that.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.