Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moonshiners  (Read 7599 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Moonshiners
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 06:52:11 pm »
I not sure which is more entertaining, the program or these comments.

Yes, Popcorn was real. He lived in Maggie Vallley, NC and he did do himself in before returning to the Pen again.
Barney and Junior are real people too.

.......when in reality is only really the hill people that drink it.

That's my story too.

BTW...it was a "worm" a couple of hundred years before it was an immersion cooler.

So I'm tole.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 07:00:01 pm »
Remember the narrator commenting that "shine" is a 100 million dollar a year business?

Well the law enforcement side ATF etc is probably at least a 100 million a year. So it's probably more like a 200 million dollar a year business.  ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
I not sure which is more entertaining, the program or these comments.

Yes, Popcorn was real. He lived in Maggie Vallley, NC and he did do himself in before returning to the Pen again.
Barney and Junior are real people too.

.......when in reality is only really the hill people that drink it.

That's my story too.

BTW...it was a "worm" a couple of hundred years before it was an immersion cooler.

So I'm tole.

And it was a thumper about a hundred years before Bambi's rabbit buddy was born too.

So I'm tole    ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:35 pm »
Remember the narrator commenting that "shine" is a 100 million dollar a year business?

Well the law enforcement side ATF etc is probably at least a 100 million a year. So it's probably more like a 200 million dollar a year business.  ;D

Three words:

Fast and Furious...   :D

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
If that law enforcement officer trying to catch these guys (whoever he is) is really who we depend on for this stuff, we're in big trouble. He has no plans on what to do when encountering a dog??? Like no one living in the woods has dogs?

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
If that law enforcement officer trying to catch these guys (whoever he is) is really who we depend on for this stuff, we're in big trouble. He has no plans on what to do when encountering a dog??? Like no one living in the woods has dogs?
Right on Bo.  That guy does not inspire confidence in LEOs.  Anybody consider that perhaps these outlaws were already caught and agreed to be on the show as part of a plea bargain?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:41:32 pm by Bret »
Member #: 900000767

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 11:57:52 pm »
And killing part every time they drink it there is methanol in it. Nature way of weeding out the stupid
You realize that methanol is a natural byproduct of fermentation, right?  It is not created through the distilling process.  That means it is present in your homebrew too.  It is very easy to avoid when distilling, but since we're not allowed to talk about it I'm not going to explain how.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:08 am »
ckpash88 that has got to be the most non sequitur attempt at a walk-back that I have ever read.

Methanol and ethanol boil at different temperatures.

<time lapse>
However, deleting is a pretty effective walk-back   ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:05:30 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:06 am »
I'm going to say best show ever, whether its staged stuff or not, Tim is my new personal hero.  Anyone who can rock overalls like him is cool in my book.

The ABC Agent is pretty funny to watch, he does near crap his pants when he saw the dog, I guess it makes sense bodies can be hard to find in the Virginia backwoods.  The camo isn't a fashion statement its a way of life.

Legality aside, its cool to see they are keeping the tradition alive, what if the "early" homebrewers didn't do it illegally, where would we be?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:10:24 am by eltharyon »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 06:38:14 am »
Popcorn spent time between NC and TN. I got his book, Me And My Likker at home.

Growing up in the foothills of NC it was pretty easy to get shine without much effort. People were not actively pursuing those who were making it, but it also wasn't a lucrative business and it became tough to get things like massive quantities of sugar.

There was an area of NC kinda between Hickory and Charlotte called Love Valley. If you were not from there, you were advised not to go there. Let's just say their might have been some illegal activies in the area and gunfire was heard quite often.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 07:46:49 am »
I watched the first episode I had recorded. It was interesting, but I agree that it's probably reenactments. Those involving Popcorn appear to be archive film used just for entertainment.

I first cringed at the thought of getting water from a stream, but since everything is distilled, what could it hurt?
I took the Makers Mark tour a couple of years ago en route to the NHC in Cincinnati.  They let us stick our fingers into the wooden fermenters, Distillation will kill everything, the tour guide said. So watch out! in about five years, Makers Mark with my finger in the fermenter will be on your store shelves. :)

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 11:43:56 am »
Great a little Dirk in my Makers Mark

Offline punatic

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:52 pm »
Great a little Dirk in my Makers Mark

Just be glad it's not Dirk Diggler!

AHA Life Member #33907