Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a sword...  (Read 27269 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: I need a sword...
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »
No, the difference is you can get Belgian and German Beers in most parts of the country. You just can't get good pizza.  :)

I think the issue here is that your definition of "good pizza" is exceptionally narrow...

Exactly!
I think they might be getting the point. ;D

When someone says "pizza" to me, I never ever ever think of Chicago style pizza, Mexican pizza, White pizza, or any other of the variations that have come up.  If you mean Chicago style pizza, say Chicago style pizza.  That's what it is.

If you just say pizza to me, you're talking about thin crust, red sauce, cheese, and maybe some toppings.  Pepperoni is a favorite.

See, Tom and I understand pizza.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2011, 05:10:28 pm »
I like that kind of pizza, in fact I made one just like that for lunch today. It happens to be one of my favorites, especially with a little sausage on it. However, I also like deep dish pizza as well as some CA styles. They're all REAL pizzas.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »
I like that kind of pizza, in fact I made one just like that for lunch today. It happens to be one of my favorites, especially with a little sausage on it. However, I also like deep dish pizza as well as some CA styles. They're all REAL pizzas.
That's like saying a lager is an ale.  Sure, they're both beer, but in this case one is real pizza and the other is deep dish pizza. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2011, 05:24:46 pm »
That's like saying a lager is an ale.  Sure, they're both beer, but in this case one is real pizza and the other is real deep dish pizza. ;)

Fixed that for you.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »
That's like saying a lager is an ale.  Sure, they're both beer, but in this case one is real pizza and the other is deep dish pizza. ;)

But, ONLY if they use lager yeast to leaven the crust.   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »
That's like saying a lager is an ale.  Sure, they're both beer, but in this case one is real pizza and the other is real deep dish pizza. ;)

Fixed that for you.
Fair enough, real deep dish pizza.  As long as you qualify it with "deep dish" you'll get no argument from me ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »
That's like saying a lager is an ale.  Sure, they're both beer, but in this case one is real pizza and the other is real deep dish pizza. ;)

Fixed that for you.
Fair enough, real deep dish pizza.  As long as you qualify it with "deep dish" you'll get no argument from me ;)

So this would lead one to believe that there is also moderately deep dish pizza?

Or perhaps even imaginary deep dish pizza?  You know, deep dish pizza whose square is less than zero...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:11:02 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »
What I can't stand is people calling pan pizza deep dish. It's not. It's just a big whopping hunk of greasy dough (usually) with a thin layer of toppings- like a hand-tossed pie.

If I make deep dish it takes like 45-60 minutes to cook and is like eating a wedge of pie.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
What I can't stand is people calling pan pizza deep dish. It's not. It's just a big whopping hunk of greasy dough (usually) with a thin layer of toppings- like a hand-tossed pie.

If I make deep dish it takes like 45-60 minutes to cook and is like eating a wedge of pie.

Put some pineapple on there and THEN you've got yourself a pie!    ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »

Fixed that for you.
Fair enough, real deep dish pizza.  As long as you qualify it with "deep dish" you'll get no argument from me ;)

I think we can agree on that. It's a style just like various styles of beer and those styles can found though out the country, with some more prominent in certain areas.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
Real pizza is however you want to make it and no matter how many toppings, cheeses, sauces, etc.. I could say an ale is a real beer, but a lager isn't, but we know that isn't true.

Like I said, if you aren't from the North East you wouldn't understand. I certainly wouldn't expect someone from texas to understand pizza.  ;)

I spent several years in the NE, among other places, and while I have a couple of relatives in Texas, I'm not from there. One can find  good pizza in NY, just like in Chicago or many other places. In fact, CA has some very good pizza.

I call shenanigans.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2011, 10:59:52 pm »
now this is a pizza thread? 

awesome.  I would like a pan dish pizza, with turtles on half, with brisket on the other half, some rib meat piled up all over, a pitcher of belgium tripel, and some fried mushrooms.  Deliver that in 30 minutes or I'll start shooting. 

Offline punatic

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03:52 pm »
Real pizza is however you want to make it and no matter how many toppings, cheeses, sauces, etc.. I could say an ale is a real beer, but a lager isn't, but we know that isn't true.

Like I said, if you aren't from the North East you wouldn't understand. I certainly wouldn't expect someone from texas to understand pizza.  ;)

I spent several years in the NE, among other places, and while I have a couple of relatives in Texas, I'm not from there. One can find  good pizza in NY, just like in Chicago or many other places. In fact, CA has some very good pizza.

I call shenanigans.

that's just bo being bo

California?   ::)     please...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:20 am »
Order a thin-crust pizza, and then tell me Chicago is 2nd best.

You're on the right track, but Chicago is still second best. ;)

Imo's Pizza | The Square Beyond Compare

Imo's is the equivalent of crackers and ketchup. And what's the deal with that cheese?!?!
"Provel, like American cheese, doesn't meet the FDA's requirements for moisture content in cheese, so it's labeled as a "Pasteurized processed cheese," "
Sure I'm biased, but that's the first thing I ate when I arrived in St.Louis. ??? Also had to have a discussion on Pop vs Soda.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2011, 06:19:43 am »
And if you had the OP's sword, you could practice your cutting skills... ;D
fried softshell turtle anyone?
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.