Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a sword...  (Read 26998 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: I need a sword...
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:23 pm »
Here's a short synopsis of BBQ.

Barbecue varies by region, with the four main styles named after their place of origin: Memphis, Tenn.; North Carolina; Kansas City; and Texas. Memphis is renowned for pulled pork-shoulder doused in sweet tomato-based sauce (eaten on its own or as a sandwich). North Carolina smokes the whole hog in a vinegar-based sauce. Kansas City natives prefers ribs cooked in a dry rub, and Texans ... well, Texans dig beef. Eastern Texas' relative proximity to Tennessee puts it in the pulled-pork camp, but in the western segment of the Lone Star State, you're likely to find mesquite-grilled "cowboy-style" brisket. Locals defend their region's cooking style with the sort of fierce loyalty usually reserved for die-hard sports fans. Just as you're better off not mentioning the Yankees to a Red Sox fan, it's probably best not to proclaim your love for Texas beef to anyone from Tennessee.

Wherever you may be enjoy the Q.  8)

Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »
Now hold it, it says this salsa is made in New York City!  New York City?!?!

"GET THE ROPE!"
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
You have to be from the east coast, specifically within 2-4 hours from New York City, to really understand Pizza.

Not from around NYC,  but we really like it more like the Piaaz in Italy.

A brisket from around Lockhart TX is what Q should be.  Might check out Franklins in Austin in a couple months.  My neice says no one goes there anymore as it is too crowded (a Yogi-ism).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2011, 01:41:46 pm »
Up north they used to call Sloppy Joe a Barbeque sandwich. Not quite as bad as "across the "Red river" I guess but close.
That makes no sense, since I know for a fact that a Sloppy Joe is a triple-decker sandwich consisting of rye bread with swiss cheese, coleslaw, Russian dressing, and some combination of deli meats like corned beef, pastrami, smoked turkey, or ham.  Best if made the day before, wrapped tightly in foil and left in the fridge overnight.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2011, 01:45:53 pm »
Up north they used to call Sloppy Joe a Barbeque sandwich. Not quite as bad as "across the "Red river" I guess but close.
That makes no sense, since I know for a fact that a Sloppy Joe is a triple-decker sandwich consisting of rye bread with swiss cheese, coleslaw, Russian dressing, and some combination of deli meats like corned beef, pastrami, smoked turkey, or ham.  Best if made the day before, wrapped tightly in foil and left in the fridge overnight.

? ? ? 

Not where I come from.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »

? ? ? 

Not where I come from.

Again.... it all depends on where you come from.  ;)

BTW...love SJ's in Key West. Great corner bar with good live music.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 02:06:04 pm »

? ? ? 

Not where I come from.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/08/serious-sandwich-sloppy-joe-to.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/04njqbite.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_Joe#The_New_Jersey_sloppy_joe

;D  I make them every year for the super bowl, sometimes more often than that.  We made them back in September.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »
I don't know bout all your BBQ / pizza issues, but I just had some aweosme Filipino food. Don't know what the crap it was. Kinda looked like Alpo, but it was darn good! Is there anyway we can get this BFI thread stickied, as it is just pure classic!!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2011, 02:21:04 pm »
So..... swords huh  ;D ;D

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2011, 02:27:05 pm »
That over sauced, shredded pork does make a pretty good sloppy joe, but that's about all it's good for. Give me a sliced brisket sandwich any day.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »
I'll take it one step further. Barbque is a  bastardization of an indigenous caribean word that describes the process of cooking food over a low fire on a grill or grate made of green sticks. Be it pig, fish, or human for that matter (Long fish).

and in new zealand a sloppy joe is a used prophylactic.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:44:36 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »
That over sauced, shredded pork does make a pretty good sloppy joe, but that's about all it's good for. Give me a sliced brisket sandwich any day.

If you put a thick red sauce on it, you're doing it wrong. No wonder you don't like it. But then again, you don't know what BBQ is either.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:31 pm »
The one time I had it served to me in Georgia, it was shredded beef with a sauce (not red) all over the on top of it.  I want to think it was on top of cole slaw. I just remember it was pilled up in a big mound. Definitely not REAL barbecue.