Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery Oops's.....  (Read 4815 times)

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
Brewery Oops's.....
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »
Ever do something in the brewery that you immediately know is a bad idea, but that split second realization isn't fast enough? Here's mine from yesterday --

Skipped chilling since it was starter wort and was going into quart jars for sterilizing. But, when you spill just a tad and want to clean up a bit, it's a bad idea to use cold water to do so. Just sayin....

Carboy down!!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Brewery Oops's.....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
Ouch.  Glad it wasn't worse.  I've had some bad experiences with hot glass and cold water.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
At least it was in the sink, better than all over the floor.

Now, get thee a better bottle as a replacement
Joe

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »

True! Putting it in the sink was the only speck of intelligence displayed in the 15 seconds prior to hosing down the carboy...

Thought about the better bottles - how are they with heat? I've been looking at getting a couple of these guys too --

http://www.milehidistilling.com/New-Heavy-duty-Milk-cans-with-clamp-down-lids-p/16206.htm

Pricey, but probably worth it for where my efforts are headed.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:26 pm »
Chalk it up as a valuable learning lesson. Glad you didn't get hurt. I've heard quite a few horror stories concerning carboy mishaps. There's a lot of potential for disaster with regards to handling carboys. I am always very cautious.

Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:59 am »
Super dangerous idea to add boiling - or even hot - liquid to carboy. Ever! The last thing you want to happen is a carboy to shatter in your hands. There have been many people over the years who have had serious laceration from breaking carboys. Serious loss of blood! It's probably a good idea to start reminding people of the dangers of glass carboys again.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:51:19 am »

+1

I've been using Better Bottles for years. They cost much less than any trip to an emergency room.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:55:47 am »
Super dangerous idea to add boiling - or even hot - liquid to carboy. Ever! The last thing you want to happen is a carboy to shatter in your hands. There have been many people over the years who have had serious laceration from breaking carboys. Serious loss of blood! It's probably a good idea to start reminding people of the dangers of glass carboys again.

THIS^^^^....NEVER put hot liquid in a carboy or use hot water to clean it.  several of mine even have a warning stamped on the bottom.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:18:54 am »
I have made the mistake of putting hot water into a glass carboy to dissolve some bentonite.  The next morning I found grape juice running across my kitchen floor.  The carboy had cracked along the bottom allowing the juice to leak out. Fortunately, I was able to rescue the juice without the carboy breaking completely.  I do not put hot water in glass carboys anymore.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »

Agreed! Prior to moving to stainless conicals, I was using plastic conicals for this very reason. Had an unfortunate meeting between the bottom of a carboy and a concrete floor a few years back, which resulted in a good gash on the bottom of my foot and the loss of a Corsendonk clone. Two lessons learned that day:

1) Never step foot in your brewing space with sandals, even if it's just to check the temperature of a fermenting batch. You'll likely end up messing around with something else, and it's best to be protected.

2) Increase your level of caution around anything glass in the brewing space -- even seemingly harmless pint glasses can cause some serious problems.