Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: You wanted to have two head keg washer.  (Read 7314 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: You wanted to have two head keg washer.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 05:54:45 am »
Seems to me that some solenoid valves, dedicated tanks for all liquids and a programmed PLC would get you automation. You would need some SSR's on the outputs, but all of this stuff can be had pretty cheaply these days.

The procedure described below sounds like nothing more than timed, sequential steps and that's not hard to program either.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:53 am »
We have been working on a semi automated keg cleaner. It is just back logged on everything else we have going on.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:59 am »
I have to imagine that you use a lot of non reusable rinse water for this. Does the final rinse have to completely fill the keg? I wouldn't think the first one would need to be.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:26 am »
No, it's not even close to filling the keg. We do a timed hot rinse under compressed air, similar to a pressure wash.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 07:23:34 am »
How can you be sure the rinse is distributed throughout the keg? I can see if it's upside down it would hit the bottom ( now on top) and cascade down the sides, I've never really looked that close at a spear. I guess the CO2 comes in right below the connector.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 07:58:37 am »
It's just a process of time and pressure. Ii believe the kegs are designed to distribute the cascade. I feel confident that the rinse, clean and sani process works. We pull the spears out of one every couple of weeks to double check.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 07:57:14 pm »
TM  just needs a hot caustic tank to clean them
I use brewhouse for that.
PBW at 150F is doing a pretty good job.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
Seems to me that some solenoid valves, dedicated tanks for all liquids and a programmed PLC would get you automation. You would need some SSR's on the outputs, but all of this stuff can be had pretty cheaply these days.

The procedure described below sounds like nothing more than timed, sequential steps and that's not hard to program either.
I agree that it is pretty simple process.

As Major said there is only 24 hours in the day.
There is a plenty of work to keep business running.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
Saw Oso's keg washer it does one at a time but will wash and fill at the same time. I think it costs about 6k new, chhaa ching! But it has its on holding tank for hot caustic and totally programable, bet one could be built for alot less. It takes less than 3 minutes per stage.

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »
Hey, I like your double head washer.  It's funny that they can charge so much for the same thing that you just built.  If your's doesn't work out you could always try one of these http://breweryparts.com/index.php/fittings-and-valves/fittings-custom-amp-specialities/manifold.html  with a few valves and a few triclamp/hosebarb fittings you could build the same thing.  I've used a similar set-up and it worked well.  cheers, j

+1 to the manifold reference...Used that style of setup for almost a year until a used mini king was available for a fair price.  Be sure to have an air compressor so you aren't using CO2 to clear your caustic/acid/etc.  Then Purge with CO2 and pressurize.  Plus "flushing" with CO2 may likely crystalize your caustic making it useless.
mmmm....beer