Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First runnings only (no sparge)  (Read 1832 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
First runnings only (no sparge)
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:20:07 am »
I've been considering trying this method, I heard about at last years NHC.  I brew on a Top Tier system with keggles.  And I always brew ten gallon batches, fermenting in 6 gallon buckets.  (No secondary)

Anyway, even the big beers I brew wich call for at most a 37 pound grain bill fit with room to spare.  Just wondering what's the MOST grain any of you ahve gotten into a keggle for your mash?  I'm thinking I'll only be able to do a 5 gallon batch this way. 

Any thoughts?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: First runnings only (no sparge)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:27 am »
37 lbs of grain will net you one hell of a big beer at 5 gallons. I got 5 gallons of 1.100 with 31 lbs in the coleman extreme the other day. no sparge. well partigyle but it amounts to the same thing.  that extra 6 lbs should bump you up to around 1.130. my eff is about 63% on no sparge big beers like that. so if you can pack 40-45 lbs grain in there and pull off a little better eff you should be able to hit around 1.090 on a 10 gallon I would think. But I am not doing the math so I could be wrong.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:11 pm »
Here is a nice calculator:  Can I Mash It?  http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Check Kai's site braukaiser.com for info on efficiency related to qt/lb, etc.
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »
It will depend on your desired mash thickness. You should be able to get 35 lbs of grain at a thickness of 1qt/lb into your keggle but it will be very thick and your efficiency will be pretty bad. If you go this route, you should definitely consider a partigyle.
Ron Price