Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone have any brew based Thanksgiving recipes they would like to share?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
I want to start doing more projects combining my beers with food.  I figure Thanksgiving is a perfect time to start playing around with new ideas.  Does anybody have any recipes or suggestions for holiday dishes using homebrew. 

P.S.  My current brews available are a Oatmeal Milk Stout, a Coffee Stout, and a English IPA.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Anyone have any brew based Thanksgiving recipes they would like to share?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:59 am »
you could make creamed onions with some of the oatmeal stout. it would be a strange color but I bet it would taste good.

I supose an IPA stuffing might be nice. the herbal hops playing with the other herbs in the stuffing and cutting a little bit of the richness.

someone just posted a homebrewed cider brine idea!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:47:49 pm »
Macaroni and IPA cheese sauce - though whether mac and cheese is thanksgiving fair depends on what part of the country you're from.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:05:11 pm »
The closest thing to a Turkey day recipe with beer for me is:

1) Pour Beer
2) Fill pretzel bowl
3) Sit down to watch football game
4) Wake up 2 hours later
---Repeat as necessary---

8)

Paul

*** Edited because I can't type.***
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »
Macaroni and IPA cheese sauce - though whether mac and cheese is thanksgiving fair depends on what part of the country you're from.

We've had mac-n-cheese on the T-giving table in years past. I like the idea of an IPA cheese sauce.

I like beer battered mushrooms.

http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-batter-fried-mushrooms-98019
Ron Price

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:58:32 pm »

I'm not so sure about IPA sauce. I love IPAs but not for cooking. This does bring up an interesting idea though. Has anyone ever used a little beer in the sauce instead of milk just to add that flavor? I would think you'd want to add just a little at the very end to avoid any clumping. I have some porter in the basement that might go pretty well in the cheese sauce.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »

I'm not so sure about IPA sauce. I love IPAs but not for cooking. This does bring up an interesting idea though. Has anyone ever used a little beer in the sauce instead of milk just to add that flavor? I would think you'd want to add just a little at the very end to avoid any clumping. I have some porter in the basement that might go pretty well in the cheese sauce.

They use port wine in cheese so a Porter might do well here.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »
When you add beer to a sauce depends on the kind of sauce. If you are making a roux based sauce then you can really add it any time as long as you remember the cold liquid added to hot roux or cold roux added to hot liquid rule. otherwise the roux will get clumpy. If you are using heavy cream then I recomend sauteing the aromatics (onion, garlic etc.) then adding the beer and cooking it down to nearly nothing (au sec?) then adding the cream. This will concentrate the flavours without watering down the cream. so for mac-n-cheese you can add it anytime before or after the milk as long as you whisk it in quickly to avoid clumps. Beer and cheese sauce are amazing together. beer and cheddar soup rocks!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »
The closest thing to a Turkey day recipe with beer for me is:

1) Pour Beer
2) Fill pretzel bowl
3) Sit down to watch football game
4) Wake up 2 hours later
---Repeat as necessary---

8)

Paul

*** Edited because I can't type.***

Seems like a tough recipe, but I might have to give it a shot.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40:09 am »

Many brewpubs sell beer-cheese soup and there are cheese fondue recipes made with beer, so I imagined you just make a thick version and add macaroni - done. The beer-cheese soups are often made with IPA's, though perhaps just a bit so they can call it IPA soup. I usually don't like hop flavor in my food.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:08:22 am »
When you add beer to a sauce depends on the kind of sauce. If you are making a roux based sauce then you can really add it any time as long as you remember the cold liquid added to hot roux or cold roux added to hot liquid rule. otherwise the roux will get clumpy. If you are using heavy cream then I recomend sauteing the aromatics (onion, garlic etc.) then adding the beer and cooking it down to nearly nothing (au sec?) then adding the cream. This will concentrate the flavours without watering down the cream. so for mac-n-cheese you can add it anytime before or after the milk as long as you whisk it in quickly to avoid clumps. Beer and cheese sauce are amazing together. beer and cheddar soup rocks!

That's what I was looking for. I should have known but I did not even think about the roux rule of adding cold to hot will clump. I will be making a roux based cheese sauce for the mac and cheese and I think it'll get a little shot of Porter this year. Thanks!
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:06 am »
Craftbeer.com had some ideas:

http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/recipes/recipes-list/show?title=two-beer-pumpkin-soup

I made this recipe and it was pretty tasty.  I'd cut the sugar in half.  It was too sweet for my wife and I.

Good soup though.  Very creamy and nice on a cold fall night.

I didn't go out and buy any special beer for it, I just used some homebrew.  I think I added some bock(for richness) and some tripel (for spice)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:42:43 am by ryang »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 09:17:19 am »
Craftbeer.com had some ideas:

http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/recipes/recipes-list/show?title=two-beer-pumpkin-soup

I made this recipe and it was pretty tasty.  I'd cut the sugar in half.  It was too sweet for my wife and I.

Good soup though.  Very creamy and nice on a cold fall night.

I didn't go out and buy any special beer for it, I just used some homebrew.  I think I added some bock(for richness) and some tripel (for spice)

I would leave out the sugar all together. squash or pumpkin with roasted in the oven first is so sweet all by itself I can't imagine wanting any more sugar that that! but to each his/her own
-A Einstein

- J Joyce