Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering Temp  (Read 1310 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Lagering Temp
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:01:08 am »
I know that I should be lagering my lagers at close to freezing for a length of time dependent on the OG of the beer.  Trouble is, I really don't have anywhere to lager beer at that temp.  I have a freezer that I've converted to a keg freezer and the temp is about 6 degrees C or so (I don't like my beer super cold), and I have my cold room which is running somewhere around 8-10 degrees C right now.  I'm brewing the lagers in the cold room which works great but my question is: 

Do I have to be that near freezing or can I lager them at a slightly warmer temperature for a longer period of time and achieve the same result? 

I am short on kegs right now so I'm going to rack to a glass secondary and lager but where is best?  The cold room will eventually get down to about 1C when winter really sets in but until then is warmer good enough?  The OG was about 1.060 and I'd like to have the beer ready for a friends birthday on Jan 7. 

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Lagering Temp
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:12:35 am »
Although it would be best to lager at a colder temp I think you will be fine lagering at 6 deg. C.  Your beer should be ready in time for your friend's birthday.

Cheers,
Brandon