Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish 70  (Read 4887 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Scottish 70
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:52 pm »
As a Scottish expat who "grew up" on pints of heavy, I'd love to brew a good 70/- to bring back a few memories (and get a yeast cake for my Traquair clone).  Trouble is, the BJCP guidelines are for a very basic malt profile (Marris Otter or Golden Promise) with some roast barley and guides against crystal or other modified malt, yet every recipe I see had lbs of crystal and brown and chocolate etc...

I'm tempted to take my Traquair recipe (actually it's basically Denny's recipe minus the fungus!) of 99% Golden Promise and 1% Roast Barley, and dial back the grains and hops to ~1.038 and 16 IBU accordingly.  I'm thinking single infusion @ 152F:

7.5 lbs Golden Promise / Marris Otter (depends if LHBS has Promise)
1.5 oz Roast Barley
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 mins
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 15 mins
WLP028 Edinburgh

This hits OG and IBUs but puts me low on SRMs, but I plan to compensate with some kettle caramelization.  Any thoughts?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Scottish 70
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:16:34 am »
Here is my recipe for a 60/-.  I'm pretty sure it originally came from an old episode of Jamil's show.  The first time I made it I served it my neighbor from near Belfast without telling him what kind of beer it was.  He said it was really nice, and "reminded him of the beers he had when in Scotland every year after finals".  I've made it a few times since, varying the MO depending on how strong I wanted the beer to be and leaving the specialty malts unchanged (I think JZ recommended that too).

For 10 gallons:
9 lbs Maris otter
2 lbs crystal 40
1 lb honey malt
1/2 lb crystal 120
6 oz chocolate malt
60 grams fuggles 4% AA @ 60 min
Wyeast 1056

Yes, it has a bunch of crystal in it.  But when a guy who has a had a lot of beers in Scotland tells you, unprompted, that it reminds him of those, I think you've hit the mark.

<edit> sorry, mash at 158F for 60 minutes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:18:58 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:59 am »
Thanks Tom,
I'd seen Jamil's recipe pop up a few times when digging around, so this is probably confirmation enough to try it.  I'm planning a 5 gallon batch of 70/-, so I'll half everything, then up the MO slightly to 5lbs to get the OG where I need it.  I've also read to ferment this one cool and slow.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02:26 am »
I can attest to Jamil's recipe being great as well as the one you have listed there!  I actually brew the roasted barley with edinburgh yeast for the fall and Jamil's recipe for the spring.

I do collect the first gallon of runnings and boil the volume down to half a gallon in both cases.  Both make great beer.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02:46 am »
It's not a scottish 70/- but it's of similar gravity. I have made the following a few times lately and I really like the full rich flavour and mouthfeel

for 5.5 gallons

6.5 lbs Munich (swap this out with MO or GP and it would be lovely. I have made this recipe with pale ale malt)
.5 lbs crystal 30-40 (I have used crystal 30 and carastan to good effect)

In mine I used lots of late fuggles and goldings but for a scottish you probably would want to hold back on that. Mash at 158 for 60 minutes
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:53:13 am »
I made a scottish similar to your recipe - all base malt with a little roasted barley. While sparging, I took the first gallon and boiled it separately down to 1/2 gallon. At this point it was dark, thick, and caramelly. I added this back to the wort for a regular 60min boil and it was great.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »
OK so now I'm torn!  On one hand, there's Jamil's apparently very good, and well received recipe; while alternatively there's the base malt purist route.  I might just have to try both and do the pepsi challenge...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »
.  I   just have to try both and do the pepsi challenge...

there, now it no longer says "might"
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:37 pm »
OK so now I'm torn!  On one hand, there's Jamil's apparently very good, and well received recipe; while alternatively there's the base malt purist route.  I might just have to try both and do the pepsi challenge...

I'll add to your confusion by telling you that Jamil put both types of recipe's in Brewing Classic Styles.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:07:15 pm »
Here is my recipe for a 60/-.  I'm pretty sure it originally came from an old episode of Jamil's show.  The first time I made it I served it my neighbor from near Belfast without telling him what kind of beer it was.  He said it was really nice, and "reminded him of the beers he had when in Scotland every year after finals".  I've made it a few times since, varying the MO depending on how strong I wanted the beer to be and leaving the specialty malts unchanged (I think JZ recommended that too).

For 10 gallons:
9 lbs Maris otter
2 lbs crystal 40
1 lb honey malt
1/2 lb crystal 120
6 oz chocolate malt
60 grams fuggles 4% AA @ 60 min
Wyeast 1056

Yes, it has a bunch of crystal in it.  But when a guy who has a had a lot of beers in Scotland tells you, unprompted, that it reminds him of those, I think you've hit the mark.

<edit> sorry, mash at 158F for 60 minutes

I'm planning to brew something very similiar based on JZ's award winning recipe next weekend. What temp did you pitch and ferment? Also what was your OG and FG on this recipe?  Thanks Tom.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »
I'll also note that JZ uses the following %'s for his specialty malt additions regardless of gravity.

14.4% Crystal 40L           
7.2% Honey Malt 18L
3.6% Crystal 120L
2.7% Pale Chocolate malt 200L
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
My goal is one day to make a Scottish 175. Talk among yourselves.

Back to the post...sorry  ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:21:50 pm »
My goal is one day to make a Scottish 175. Talk among yourselves.

Back to the post...sorry  ::)

Well, I have this in bottles right now and it's delicious:
(6 gallons)

29 lbs MO
0.38 lbs Roasted barley
0.13 lbs chocolate malt
2 oz EKG 5.7%AA 60 min
1.5 oz EKG 5.7%AA 20 min

1 gallon of first running boiled down to syrup.

Might qualify as a Scottish 210 even  ;D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »
Git it on!!!!
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
I'm planning to brew something very similiar based on JZ's award winning recipe next weekend. What temp did you pitch and ferment? Also what was your OG and FG on this recipe?  Thanks Tom.
Probably pitched around 65F and fermented at whatever. :)  OG was 1.037 and FG was 1.005.  might have been a touch low on my mash temp ;)

I'll also note that JZ uses the following %'s for his specialty malt additions regardless of gravity.

14.4% Crystal 40L            
7.2% Honey Malt 18L
3.6% Crystal 120L
2.7% Pale Chocolate malt 200L
I must have misheard that recipe show - I would have sworn he said he keeps the weights of the specialty malts the same and adds more base malt for different OG's.

Good to know.
Tom Schmidlin