Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sourdough Time!  (Read 14155 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Sourdough Time!
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 09:46:48 am »
One of my main motivations for getting a KA is the pasta attachment.  If I never had to hand roll another batch of pasta, I'd be a happy guy!

I LOVE the pasta attachment. I go 100 perecent semolina unless I run out and it's so easy. I can get the sheets really thin so I can make stuffed pasta without over think edges. the sheets themselves are perfect for lasagna. I also use it to make steamed dumpling skins.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 08:12:03 pm »
One of my main motivations for getting a KA is the pasta attachment.  If I never had to hand roll another batch of pasta, I'd be a happy guy!

...I also use it to make steamed dumpling skins.

+1 Snap! I eat the hell out of those things.

After sitting for months I'm feeding my poolish. Almost poured out the cup of liquid but thought... Hmm there's flavor components. Probably would have got drunk if I was brave enough to do a shooter...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »
After sitting for months I'm feeding my poolish. Almost poured out the cup of liquid but thought... Hmm there's flavor components. Probably would have got drunk if I was brave enough to do a shooter...

I feed my poolish every night. Wait, are we talking about the same thing?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

I didn't even realize KA had a pasta attachment.  Now I have a new thing to add to my wishlist.  I haven't made fresh pasta in years because it's such a pain in the ass.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 12:51:55 am »
Usually I just use yeast and never have had an official sourdough culture. Usually I try for a spontaneous fermentation from the flour.

I pulled out the container yesterday. It's been many many months. Poured the liquid off. Scooped about a 1/4 cup and mixed it with 1/2 cup water to which I added a couple tbs of flour. Made a thin slurry and planted the bowl by my laptop to warm it up. Observed a brief fermentation over about 4 hours. Then mixed in another 1/2 cup flour and 24 hours later it has been chugging along with more and more bubbles.

Was tempted to place it outside open to the air to catch the local "bugs", but shouldn't the flour be enough to start a real sourdough culture?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:02 am »
Yeah, as far as I know there is enough microflora on the wheat (and so in the flour) that you can grow a sourdough culture out of it.  And they would tend to overwhelm anything that would fall in the culture anyway, so unless you plan to propagate for a long time, local microflora won't have much of an impact.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2011, 02:06:42 pm »
Yeah, as far as I know there is enough microflora on the wheat (and so in the flour) that you can grow a sourdough culture out of it.  And they would tend to overwhelm anything that would fall in the culture anyway, so unless you plan to propagate for a long time, local microflora won't have much of an impact.

Been using what comes in the all-purpose and bread flour that I've been buying. Amazing. No need to buy yeast at all.

I found a decent website with instructions etc. http://www.sourdoughhome.com/bakingintro.html My spontaneous fermentation really took off when I started to add straight city water which is about 300ppm. Previously I was just using RO and while I was getting fermentation it was lackluster.

Made some really nice focaccia which is easy with such a sticky dough. Last batch was pretty dry when it was placed to rest in the fridge for 24 hours. Once warmed up for another 10 hours the dough was so sticky it was nearly impossible to handle. Delicious though. ;D

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
Ha! Was just about to update this thread. Just finished kneading a batch of dough, second of the season.

Yes, there's enough beasties in the flour itself. I restart mine every year from 1/4 cup refrigerated starter, a cup of flour, and a cup of water. Who knows how much of the original strain remains, but I originally started it from a sour mash I had run in a similar way for some porter. So all in all I'm not worried.

I have a sourdough bread recipe for anyone who might be interested.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 09:23:12 am »
Ha! Was just about to update this thread. Just finished kneading a batch of dough, second of the season.

Yes, there's enough beasties in the flour itself. I restart mine every year from 1/4 cup refrigerated starter, a cup of flour, and a cup of water. Who knows how much of the original strain remains, but I originally started it from a sour mash I had run in a similar way for some porter. So all in all I'm not worried.

Well? don't be a d*** tease! give! ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:41 am »
Yeah, let's see it.  I just started cranking up my starter a couple hours ago, planning to bake Fri.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
Nothing magical. Just the basics.

Ingredients:
6 ½ cups white bread flour (high gluten) + whatever is needed to revive starter
2 ½ cups water
¼ cup sourdough starter
2 tsp salt

Prepare Starter:
Prepare starter 2-3 days in advance by removing from fridge and pouring into a small stainless or plastic mixing bowl or ceramic crock. Add 1/2c flour and 1/2c lukewarm water. Allow to sit, covered, at room temperature until fermentation subsides and a thin, alcoholic beer forms on the surface (1-2 days). Pour off beer and feed starter again to same consistency as before. Use in recipe while it is at peak activity (sponge stage).
Prepare Dough:
Combine 1c bread flour, water, salt, and starter in bowl of mixer. Mix. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until dough becomes too thick to mix (around 6 cups). Put dough on floured surface and knead remaining 1/2c flour in. Continue kneading for at least 15-20 minutes. Form into ball by stretching and folding until there is a single seam at the bottom.
Lightly coat inside of large stainless or plastic mixing bowl with olive oil. Roll dough ball in flour to coat. Place dough seam-down into bowl. Lightly coat exposed surface of dough with olive oil. Lay a sheet of saran wrap loosely over dough, trying to limit air exposure and drying. Allow to rise for 12-15 hours, or until doubled in size.
Once doubled, punch down dough, remove from bowl onto floured surface, split into 2 loaves, form, and allow to rise for an additional 6 hours, or until doubled. I prefer round loaves; the easiest way to make them is to again form 2 balls of dough by stretching and pinching. Place a sheet of saran wrap inside a medium-sized bowl and dust saran wrap with flour. Place dough ball seam side up in bowl, coat lightly with oil, and place another sheet of saran on top. You’ll be flipping it over later, so the dough should basically be upside-down at this point so that the seam will end up on the bottom.

Baking:
Place pizza stones on top and bottom oven racks. Preheat oven to 375. Allow pizza stones to heat up to temperature, usually an hour or so. Place a small stainless bowl of water in the oven and let it steam.
Once loaves are doubled, remove top sheet of saran wrap. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of dough, and a peel or flat cookie sheet or anything else you can find that will work as a peel on top of the bowl, so you essentially have a sandwich with the peel on top, parchment in between, and bowl of dough on the bottom. Carefully flip the entire thing over and remove the bowl, then remove the saran wrap. Slash the dough using a sharp serrated knife or razor blade, and brush with egg white. Slide off the peel into hot oven, parchment and all, directly onto pizza stone. Leave water bowl in oven for entire baking cycle.
Bake for 45 minutes.

Edit: I think this was actually adapted from the site Euge posted. Also, after this last round I think it's worth trying to get the stones hotter. I think next time I'll try cranking the oven up to 500 and leaving them in for an hour and a half - 2 hours, then turning the oven back down before I put the bread in. I think the hotter induction might make for a better oven spring.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:19:02 pm by MrNate »

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »

Well? don't be a d*** tease! give! ;D

No need to bleep dough tease...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member