Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: smoker temp control  (Read 19672 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
smoker temp control
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:26:55 am »
How do you guys control the temp in your smoker?  Does anyone have an automatic type thing with a fan?  I'm considering buying/building something.  I have no problems with the UDS when I'm smoking at 225F, but when I do fish I go from ~110F to 145F to 175F over the course of the smoke, and it takes a bunch of fiddling that is somewhat weather dependent and kind of a pain in the butt.

I know you can buy pre-made units - any recommendations?

For DIY, I'm thinking a a ranco type controller that measures at higher temps and is wired to power on when the temp drops.  Connect a computer fan to that, mount the fan in a pipe that can attach to the pipe nipples on the bottom of the UDS, and Bob's your uncle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: smoker temp control
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:27 am »
How do you guys control the temp in your smoker?  Does anyone have an automatic type thing with a fan?  I'm considering buying/building something.  I have no problems with the UDS when I'm smoking at 225F, but when I do fish I go from ~110F to 145F to 175F over the course of the smoke, and it takes a bunch of fiddling that is somewhat weather dependent and kind of a pain in the butt.

I know you can buy pre-made units - any recommendations?

For DIY, I'm thinking a a ranco type controller that measures at higher temps and is wired to power on when the temp drops.  Connect a computer fan to that, mount the fan in a pipe that can attach to the pipe nipples on the bottom of the UDS, and Bob's your uncle.

sounds like a mash schedule for a hefeweizen!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:23 pm »
The WSM has three charcoal chamber dampers and one food chamber damper which gives me the ability to maintain +/-5 degrees in temp. It was trial and error to figure out the settings required. Some other factors at play are the initial thermal mass and temp, geometry of your chamber, volume of your chamber, and internal flow of oxygen.The O2 level in the smoker will determine the potential for heat. The more oxygen introduced into the chamber, the more potential for heat generation. You are definitely on the right track with your idea.

Here's a Pit Viper designed to work in a UDS but I've seen them equipped with computer fans as well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Pit-Viper-10-CFM-Fan.html
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:47:02 pm »
This is a bit crude but I think you get the idea.

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »
The WSM has three charcoal chamber dampers and one food chamber damper which gives me the ability to maintain +/-5 degrees in temp. It was trial and error to figure out the settings required. Some other factors at play are the initial thermal mass and temp, geometry of your chamber, volume of your chamber, and internal flow of oxygen.The O2 level in the smoker will determine the potential for heat. The more oxygen introduced into the chamber, the more potential for heat generation. You are definitely on the right track with your idea.

Here's a Pit Viper designed to work in a UDS but I've seen them equipped with computer fans as well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Pit-Viper-10-CFM-Fan.html
Thanks Ron.  $72 for just a fan seems a bit steep, and at least another $100 for the control unit.  I'll have to look into it more, but in my head a complete unit should be $120 at most.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:34 am »
This is closer - anyone used one?  Know someone who has one?  Seen one used once?
http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110.html
Tom Schmidlin

rabeb25

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:46 am »
BBQ Stoker here, I love it to death. It runs all my smokers.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:57:26 am »
I just grabbed a bbq guru from one of the brethren. $70 - can't even get the parts to diy for that.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:41 am »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:31 am »
It's basically the same as building a controller for electric brewing, except you don't have to mess with 220.
You should turn this into a build thread!

30 ish for the pid+ssr combo
15 for a project box
10 for wires cords wire nuts etc
5 thermocouple
10 10cfm blower
20 misc sheet metal and duct to connect to smoker

Other than skill - anything missing from the list? Looks like $90 DIY project.
Could be less by scavenging around the casa for parts.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:51:47 pm »
When the money comes available a BBQ guru is on the short list.

This is closer - anyone used one?  Know someone who has one?  Seen one used once?
http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110.html

I hear good things about this one and for the price if you want something basic it ought to work well with a UDS. Tempted to go this route myself except I want the option for holding the meat temp once it is reached for times when I'm asleep or at work.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis