Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Horizon for Late Hop/Dry Hop  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
Horizon for Late Hop/Dry Hop
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:15:33 am »
Can anyone comment on the flavors and aromas you have gotten from using horizon as a heavy late hop or dry hop?  Does it compare closely to other hops when used for flavor & aroma?  I wan't finding much on the web...

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
Re: Horizon for Late Hop/Dry Hop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
http://www.hopschart.com/zoom.html

This chart should give you a good idea of the oil breakdown.  From the looks of it, it would be quite nice as a late hop/dry hop addition.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
Everything I've read about Horizon says it should be used for bittering.  I don't know what the hell these people are talking about. I actually have some in my freezer, I plan to make an all Horizon pale ale pretty soon.  Looking forward to it.
Like hopvine said, everything indicates that it would be an amazing all around use hops.  Of course they say the same thing about Simcoe.  Aye, Gevalt.  
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »
I agree....I love Horizon for bittering but not so much for aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »

Every description I read says it's resiny, candy-like, floral.  Sounds perfect for aroma!  I've used it only once in a beer.  It was single hopped, but it was a super dark beer, so the hops didn't even come through.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

Every description I read says it's resiny, candy-like, floral.  Sounds perfect for aroma!  I've used it only once in a beer.  It was single hopped, but it was a super dark beer, so the hops didn't even come through.

Well, maybe it was just me....guess I'll have to try again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:22:35 am »
Everything I've read says, spicy/floral.  I made an american esb with horizon about 8 or 9 years ago, but it was a mix of horizon, fuggles and cluster (from FWH all the way down to dry hop).  OMG, that was a great beer - I meant to re-visit the horizon part of the hop bill, but never got around to it.  Now I'm ready to find some again (they're harder to find now) and use them for aroma/dry hop additions.  Post back with your thoughts if you beat me to it.  cheers, j