Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning a nylon mesh bag  (Read 11005 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
cleaning a nylon mesh bag
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:17:41 pm »
I don't know if this qualifies as equipment per se, but how do you guys clean the nylon bags you use?  I used one to press out some grapes and the thing is a mess.  I tried getting it with a hose and rubbing it under a stream of water, but this bits won't budge.  I was thinking maybe boiling would loosen things, or maybe PBW.  Any other ideas?  Toss it and use cheesecloth next time? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: cleaning a nylon mesh bag
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:26:59 am »
I now dry hop with my nylon grain bag.  The bag definitely has strong color (golden green brown), but the hop particles rinse out fairly easily.  I do have to reverse the bag to get everything out. 

Maybe in the case of a sticky, gummy sludge like grape debris, you might have to dry the whole thing out and flake it off?  Another option might be some sort of enzyme soak to get the debris to become more compliant?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:31:27 am »
 I use the big mesh bags for grapes, plums, etc and yes, the pulp is a mess.

I found if I clean it best I can by spraying it with water and then hanging it to dry for several days then just give it a good "snap", all the dried little bits come off. Turn it inside out and pop it again. I hold it by the corners of the bottom.

The little pieces seem to hang on tight when wet but turn loose wfter drying. You might have to scrub it between your hands a little and repeat.

The parts that are in the seam are really aggravating. Sometimes they get to stay ;D and are boiled to sanitize before the next use ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:09:25 am »
Give it a good rinse and then soak it overnight in PBW at the concentration you would use for your kegs or carboys.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »
Throw it away and buy some new paint strainer bags.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:12:30 am »
I use the big mesh bags for grapes, plums, etc and yes, the pulp is a mess.

I found if I clean it best I can by spraying it with water and then hanging it to dry for several days then just give it a good "snap", all the dried little bits come off. Turn it inside out and pop it again. I hold it by the corners of the bottom.

The little pieces seem to hang on tight when wet but turn loose wfter drying. You might have to scrub it between your hands a little and repeat.

The parts that are in the seam are really aggravating. Sometimes they get to stay ;D and are boiled to sanitize before the next use ::)
This sounds good to me, and maybe I'll try a pbw soak too.

Btw, I used it inside out (so the extra flappy part of the seams were on the outside and the sewn edge was on the inside) and I think it helped with cleaning somewhat.  It was still a mess though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:34:33 am »
I deal with this regularly from apple pressing. I find the best trick is to use a hose to get all the big bits off and then run it through the washing machine on a cold cycle without detergent. I have a front loader, and I don't know how this might work in a top loader, but it does the job very well for me.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:58:22 am »
I do the same thing as tubercle.  It works well.  No need to buy another nylon mesh bag until it gets really worn out.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:44:10 pm »
I've got a few that have gotten pretty brown over the years.  I don't believe it impacts flavor at all though.

I rinse them as best as possible, let them dry and then knock the dust off of them.

No ill effects, though I've thought of replacing them simply due to the color.

I try to use the darker ones only for dark beers, but I don't know it makes a difference.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton