Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I Rack to Secondary  (Read 5403 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Should I Rack to Secondary
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:26 pm »
My point had nothing to do with whether a secondary was useful or not - I just wouldn;t recommend racking a beer that is actively fermenting. Its very possible you could stall the fermentation. Plus, if the primary fermenter is infected that means the beer is infected (which, just because a blow off went through the air lock doesn't mean this is the case at all) and I don't see what the logic would be to rack contaminated beer into a clean fermenter.

In other words: All that will be accomplished is moving the problem from one container to another.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Should I Rack to Secondary
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 06:43:35 am »
My point had nothing to do with whether a secondary was useful or not - I just wouldn;t recommend racking a beer that is actively fermenting. Its very possible you could stall the fermentation. Plus, if the primary fermenter is infected that means the beer is infected (which, just because a blow off went through the air lock doesn't mean this is the case at all) and I don't see what the logic would be to rack contaminated beer into a clean fermenter.

In other words: All that will be accomplished is moving the problem from one container to another.

There ya go! Short but sweet!  :D