General Category > All Grain Brewing

Water Report

(1/5) > >>

dean:
Wohoooo!  Just got it!!   ;D

Now... I'm new to this so I don't really know what to make of it yet.  Here is the report.  Suprisingly the sulfates are low so I don't know why I'm getting such harsh and dry bittering?
pH: 7.8
Na: 6
K: <1
Ca: 50
Mg: 18
Total Hardness CaC03: 200
N03-N: <.1 (SAFE)
S04-S: 5
Cl: 6
C03: <1
HC03: 221
Total Alkalinity CaC03: 181

So... what the hell is this telling me?   :D   ???

dean:
Maybe "harsh" is the wrong word... overpowering may be more correct.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: dean on January 18, 2010, 03:00:45 PM ---Suprisingly the sulfates are low so I don't know why I'm getting such harsh and dry bittering?

--- End quote ---

I don't think its the sulfates. Its your alkalinity. You have fairly alkaline water and light beers don't have enough acidity in the grist to lower your mash pH into the 5.4 - 5.6 range. As a result your boil pH is high and you extract more and harsher bitterness from the hops.

There are a number of options you have:

dillution + gypsum and or calcium chloride
lactic acid addition + gypsum and or calcium chloride

You can also reduce the alkalinity by adding some more calcium and boiling your water. As you may have already noticed in cooking this precipitates chalk. If you let that chalk settle and decant the clear water you'll have lower alkalinity water. But that takes a lot of additional energy. An alternative is the use of slacked lime (a.k.a pickling lime) but that is a rather advanced process that I don't want to get into now.

Kai

dean:
Thanks Kai.  :)  

I'm kinda confused on putting in either the CaC03 from the HC03 or the total hardness? on Palmer's spreadsheet, it asks for the source water in step 2 and again later from the total alkalinity?   Am I reading that right?

I went to your site Kai but I couldn't find the water calculator, did you remove it?

hokerer:

--- Quote from: dean on January 19, 2010, 05:26:44 AM ---I went to your site Kai but I couldn't find the water calculator, did you remove it?

--- End quote ---

It's still there...

http://braukaiser.com/documents/Kaiser_water_calculator.xls

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version