Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Affect of Korea/US Free Trade Agreement Passage???  (Read 1553 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Affect of Korea/US Free Trade Agreement Passage???
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »
Just wondering if some of you in the US have any ideas about how the Korea/US Free Trade Agreement might affect the sale of American Craft Beer both in the US and South Korea?  I live in South Korea and hope to see more American Craft Beer flow into the country.  We now have a distributor here (Brewmasters International) that brings in Anderson Valley, Lost Coast, and Rogue beers (five varieties each).  Mr. Sung Lee is the owner of the company and he's been importing these beers since around July.  The costs of the beers are high, but worth it of course.  But the tariff here is 279% on beer and I was wondering if the incremental yearly lowering of the tariff might mean more American Craft Beers start to move out this way.  I would think a lot of craft breweries want to increase market share... and Korea is basically a virgin craft beer market just now starting to take shape.  Maybe the lowering of the tax will help bring about cracking this beer market wide open... I hope at least.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Affect of Korea/US Free Trade Agreement Passage???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:45 pm »
How much is the tax incrementally lowered per year?

Hopefully this will result in the cost of the product being less but the distributor(s) might just pocket the difference as extra profit, figuring people are paying the price now so why lower it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis