Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wheat wine  (Read 3053 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
wheat wine
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:47 pm »
I am planing what to put in my rum barrel with the barley wine that's in there now comes out and that thought combined with plans to brew a hefe with/for my wife. The synthesis being a wheat wine/hefeweizen partigyle brew day. something along the lines of...

12 lbs munich 10L (Great western)
20 lbs malted wheat (I would use raw but I don't want to have to cereal mash 20 lbs of wheat)
Mash this at 148 for 90 minutes

Cap the mash with 1 lb crystal malt for body and add 'sparge' water to hit 160 for 20 minutes

So my question to you all is what hops should I use for this? I imagine using something like a hallertauer for the hefe, although I would love a domestic option as, like I said, I like to keep it local as much as possible.

What for the wheat wine? What's a good domestic alternate for hallertauer?

Thoughts?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: wheat wine
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »
I dont have any answers but I've been wanting to do the same thing, so I'm watching closely.  I thought about adding some honey to the wheat wine to boost fermentables.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »
Are you planning to use 3068 or another Bavarian wheat yeast, or something like 1056?

I'd worry about some hops clashing with the profile of 3068.  Schneider dry hopped the hopfen weiss with Hallertaur Saphir, and Brooklyn used Amarillo and Palisade.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »
So my question to you all is what hops should I use for this? I imagine using something like a hallertauer for the hefe, although I would love a domestic option as, like I said, I like to keep it local as much as possible.

What for the wheat wine? What's a good domestic alternate for hallertauer?

Thoughts?

My go-to domestic sub for noble hops like Hallertauer is Mt Hood.  Always works for me.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »
My go-to domestic sub for noble hops like Hallertauer is Mt Hood.  Always works for me.

+1  Love the Mt Hood as a domestic Hallertauer sub.  Always have a pound or so on hand.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »
seems like mt hood is the hands down winner on the hallertauer sub contest.

With the wheat wine I think I have decided to go with a Saison yeast as I thought the spicy notes would go well with any spice that develops due to the acid rest. So maybe some spicy earthy hops for that. I have a couple of ounces of fuggles and belgian goldings in the freezer.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:02:36 am »
Maybe you've had a different experience, but every wheat wine I've had was much more like a BW than a wheat beer.  Based on that, are you sure you want to go in a spicy, phenolic direction?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:08 am »
Maybe you've had a different experience, but every wheat wine I've had was much more like a BW than a wheat beer.  Based on that, are you sure you want to go in a spicy, phenolic direction?

+1

Your recipe and description sound more like a pale weizenbock rather than a wheat wine.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »
what's in a name? Yeah I would no longer call what I am planning a wheat wine. I was thinking super saison. or a dopplesticke weizen? Just experimenting really.

here is where I am at

20lbs wheat malt
6 lbs munich

2 lbs sugar added to strong ale boil (maybe a chance to play with some candi syrup)

Hops for strong ale

either the local choice of ivanhoe which is a california heirloom variety that I like. or, if I decide I really want to accentuate the spicy some new zealand saaz.

For the hefe I am thinking american Horizon
-A Einstein

- J Joyce