Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much is too Much?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline srnoel

• Cellarman
How much is too Much?
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
Belgian Blonde Ale recipe

3gal Batch Size

5lbs Pale Malt 2row
3lbs Wheat Malt
8oz Caravienne
8oz Caramel 10
4oz Flacked Wheat

1oz Willamette at 60min

Question being:  I want to add coriander and possibly some orange peel but I must admit I have no idea how much to add.  I want it to be a backround flavor.  Any ideas?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How much is too Much?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »
Maybe a crushed tsp or two of the coriander.  A tbs of the bitter orange. Both about 5 minutes from flameout.

Can be subjective though. IMO these flavors should be background and not shouting what they are. More like a hhhmm what is that I'm tasting?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline srnoel

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
Thats the kind of flavor I am shooting for.  I don't want it to be obvious I put those two in there but I do want noticable tastes to a well trained palate. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »
For three gallons, I'd cut euge's numbers in half, especially since you want it to be a background note.  I might even go lower, since you can add it after the fact but you can't really take it away.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
Tom's a better judge of it than me. You can always add more but taking away is harder.

For me coriander is easy to pick up in a beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »
What Tom said. For 3 bbls of our Belgian White ale we measure the spices out in GRAMS. You want just a subtle note of spice to accent the spiciness of the yeast. If you can pick out coriander and orange peel you have used too much. It's easier to go light and add a little in post fermentation than to over do it and have to brew another batch and blend 'em.