Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG For Quadrupel/BDSA  (Read 2080 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
FG For Quadrupel/BDSA
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:03:39 pm »
Recently brewed a Belgian Dark Strong ale, and besides not being dark enough, I have concerns that my FG is too high.  It's coming in around 1.020-1.022.   :-\

The malt bill was
57% Belgian Pils
17.5% Munich I
5.5% Caramunich
3.3% Aromatic Malt
3.3% Special B
0.2% Carafa II Special

In the boil I added
8.8% Schenk Stroop (Dutch Sugar Syrup)
4.4% Table Sugar

I mashed at 145 for 40 minutes and 156 for 45 minutes.

OG was 1.092, I used pure O2 injection, and fermented with Wyeast 1762 (Rochefort Strain) around 64 degrees for a month.   This only got me 77% attenuation.  I did a fermentation test with the Shenk Stroop alone and it is highly fermentable, so I don't think that was the problem. 

Should I be aiming for a drier beer next time?  I suppose the step mash did not do me any favors here.  Thoughts? 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: FG For Quadrupel/BDSA
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:53 pm »
I don't think your finishing too high at all. With that amount of specialty malts in your bill, it's likely the yeast fermented everthing they could. The AA% is 77%, which is at the top end of the range for WY1762. Your looking good. How does it taste?

Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:49:34 am »
I agree with Bluesman.  I think you're right where you want to be.

My most recent BDSA had a similar OG and an FG of 1.015.  I thought it tasted a little too thin, not enough body or complexity in the taste.  And the judges at a comp I recently submitted it to agreed.  So for the next batch I'll be bumping up the specialty grains somewhat and shooting for a FG more in line with what you got.
Clint
Wort Hogs

narvin

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:51 am »
It really depends what you're going for.  The Trappist brewers get 88-90% apparent attenuation, finishing around 1.010 or 1.011, and they don't taste thin at all.  Residual sweetness doesn't always equal body.  There are also other examples of the style that finish a lot sweeter.  If you want it to taste drier, go for it.  A 90 minute mash at 145 might be a start, as well as cutting down on the specialty malts.  You could also push the sugar towards 20%.

I will say that I haven't been successfull at getting the Rochefort strain to attenuate like they do.  I tried both 1762 and 540, made large starters, and both versions still crapped out at around 1.018-1.020.  WLP530, on the other hand, is a beast  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:39:07 am by narvin »

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:11:37 pm »
I did see something last night after i posted this that indicated that Rochefort-type yeast might need some help.  Well, too late now!

The beer tastes good but is a little on the hot side; then again, it's only a month since I brewed it.  I am going to take it off tap and let it age at cellar temps for a month or so.