Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Proper Drill for Milling Grain  (Read 22226 times)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Proper Drill for Milling Grain
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:25:55 pm »
I've bent my drive shaft by just hand cranking malt that was excessively malt conditioned which essentially coated my rollers with flour-based "concrete" (corn-dog rollers!).  I never worked so hard to grind a batch of grain.

And, here I thought I was the only guy that made that mistake!
 ;)

I had to let the conditioned malt sit in the hot sun for a while, to evaporate the mist.
Oops.
Only made that mistake 1 time, though.

Under normal circumstances, my 18V Black & Decker works great.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:52:51 pm by Kit B »

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »
After reading these posts and doing some homework, I opted for the 1/2 heavy duty low speed drill from harbor freight in my earlier post.  Drill specs are:
variable speed control from 0 to 550 rpm
double gear reduction motor for increased torque
120 volts, 7.5 amps

Someone mentioned that this may be too much drill... nah... let her rip, lol.  Thanks for your help.  I can't wait to brew a double IPA and mill the grain with this bad boy.

Let her rip indeed.. I use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg...  ;D

:o Holy drill...got a little Tim Allen syndrome?   ;D  You milling gravel?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »
After reading these posts and doing some homework, I opted for the 1/2 heavy duty low speed drill from harbor freight in my earlier post.  Drill specs are:
120 volts, 7.5 amps

Someone mentioned that this may be too much drill... nah... let her rip, lol.  Thanks for your help.  I can't wait to brew a double IPA and mill the grain with this bad boy.
That's the exact drill I have for my MM3-2.  It smells like a cheap drill when you're running it, but it's been working well so far.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:40 am »
i use this with my Monster Mill - been very happy with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002233E

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:50 pm »
I use a 2 roller barley crusher with a 7 amp 3/8 chuck dewalt and i couldnt ask for a better system.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »
I went to Target and got the cheapest electric (corded, not battery-powered) drill. It works fine with my crankandstein. The only time it ever gets a little shady is if I drill a ton of hard unmalted winter wheat berries. On sale it was $24.99.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »
120 volts, 7.5 amps

That's the drill I have.  It's been working great.   

My favorite feature, besides the locking trigger, is that it has handle mount points on three sides.    I created a couple of extra handles using a dowel and some hanger bolts to give it 'wings'.    This lets me:

- prop the drill up on top of a second empty bucket when milling, so I don't have to hold it.

- place it on top of my converted keg boil kettle to drive a short paint mixer during cooling.    Much easier than stirring with a spoon, and combined with my immersion chiller I'll go from 212 to 80 degrees in about 8 minutes.

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »
I bought this drill for my basement remodeling project and I've been really happy with it.  Nice thing about this brand is that Menards will swap the drill for a new one, no questions asked, if it dies in the first 3 years!  That being said I've had it for 2 and it's been bullet proof!

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/drills/masterforce-1-2-hammer-drill/p-1474371.htm
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:26 am »
on a related note...can you mill the grain too fast? whats proper speed or does it not matter?
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 09:58:30 am »
on a related note...can you mill the grain too fast? whats proper speed or does it not matter?

Apparently, you can - IIRC too fast also tears the husk.  That's why I (like hopshead) forked over more $$ for a higher torque drill - once I get it going, I then releaser the trigger to as slow as I can but still keep it moving.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281