Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer slushy?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
beer slushy?
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:46:30 am »
last night i transfered the last of my beers i brewed for a holiday party. kegged them and set them along with one other keg back in the chest freezer, hooked them to co2 for carbing and went to bed.

in morning i was wondering just how long at 40 degrees carbing will take, hoping to bottle this weekend. so i went down to double check temp and was going to post that question. instead...

temp probe (i'm assuming) got knocked out of freezer when i was transfering and chest freezer was in full effect! ice on the walls...panic ensued.

yeast in flask i was going to clean tonight...frozen solid.

3 kegs carbing up...slushy, but not solid.

SO, questions are now:

1) any chance to save that yeast, once it thaws?

and more importantly

2) are the slushy beers going to have serious off flavors once they return to normal temps?

thanks for your time. if i was not teaching today i definitely would be have a few homebrews!

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: beer slushy?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
Hi there - It's highly likely you have lost the yeast if it froze solid. If you really wanted to be sure, you could always thaw it, wash the yeast, and make up a small starter batch of wort to pitch the yeast into it to see if you get any fermentation. Much like you would a starter. If fermentation takes off, you could let it go to completion and store the yeast as you would if it didn't freeze. You're only risk is that you end up wasting some time because the yeast is in fact dead. I would try it - you have nothing to lose but a little time.

Regarding your beer - I wouldn't worry about. I'm willing to bet it's still going to taste great and you won't get any off flavors. There have been many brewers who have accidentally turned there fermenting wort into a slurry by accidentally freezing it during lagering and they still ended up with great tasting beer in the end! So, relax, don't worry, and enjoy that holiday homebrew!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
+1 to above. Also, Re: the yeast, it will probably be okay although you will have to make a new starter. many of the cells will have died but enough will remain to rebuild. I don't think washing the yeast will be necessary but that's up to you.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »
thanks for the replies!

i hope the yeast survives, its a great saison with brett.  might have enough in the 2ndary to try and save for later use if not though.

thanks!

phil

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
What morticaixavier said.

Yeast have survived millions of years including several ice ages. Some are dead, some are damaged, some just need a little TLC (the strongest survive). Give them some more starter wort, they will be fine in a day or two.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee