Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time to fill up the keezer  (Read 2332 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Time to fill up the keezer
« on: November 29, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
OK, so I've got ten gallons each of my IPA and Bigfoot beer for a local competition fermenting nicely.  But, this weekend, we are going to brew two batches back to back.  My standard Amber, and more IPA.  This will be the first time back to back.  Should work pretty good though.  During the mash of the first batch, I can start heating strike water for the second, then when I go to boil, time to start mashing the second batch, and so on, and so on. 

I'm sure some of you have done this in the past, if not doing it as practice.  Any hints or such I should be considering? 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Time to fill up the keezer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:36:44 pm »
You got it.  It basically adds for the second boil, wort chiller and pitch if you time it right.  An extra brew and you only add about 1.5 hours to your brew day!
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 02:50:06 pm »
That's what I normally do.  The only thing I haven't figured out how to avoid is an extra long mash on the second batch.  My first batch each day gets about 60 minutes in the mash.  The second batch may mash for up to 120 minutes.  It doesn't seem to cause any issues.

It sure is nice to get 2 beers for only a couple more hours work.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:20 am »
The time between start of boil and when your kettle is ready to accept more wort would be much more than the 1 hour boil due to post boil time spent whirlpooling, cooling, draining, cleaning, etc. Better to start the second mash 1/2 hour or more into the boil. Otherwise, this is what many commercial breweries do. Do it a few times and I'm sure you'll get the process figured out.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:59 pm »
another cooler, another burner, another kettle.

You wanted an excuse, right?

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:31 am »
Make a checklist before hand so you can keep track of everything. That way you won't forget about the little things like adding Irish moss, yeast nutrient, etc.

And don't start drinking beer until you have at least mashed in the second batch  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »
And don't start drinking beer until you have at least mashed in the second batch  ;)

this is key - its a long day. 

try to get as much cleaning during brewing down time as possible - cleaning at the end always sucks, but it really sucks after a double header.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281