Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: grain mill advice with a slight new twist  (Read 3211 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
grain mill advice with a slight new twist
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »
So my wife and I are buying ourselves a grain mill for xmas. We will use it not just for brewing grsit but also for making flour so an adjustable gap is a must.

any ideas on adjustable gap mills?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

narvin

Re: grain mill advice with a slight new twist
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
I'm not sure you're going to have a lot of luck using the same mill for crushing grain and grinding flour.  Flour mills are designed for the small, hard raw wheat berries and generally have two plates that grind the grain between them.  They aren't great for brewing since they tend to shred the barley husk.

Grain mills for brewing have adjustable rollers but I doubt you'd be able to set the gap close enough to grind raw wheat finely without getting stuck.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »
What narvin said mirrors everything I've heard from mill makers too.  I was hoping for a dual purpose one, but no luck.

If you want to BIAB though, consider a corona mill - that will get you flour for either application.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »
IIRC a Corona mill can do flour and grain grist. Here's a start on a quick search:http://www.wisementrading.com/grainmills.htm
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:44 pm »
IIRC a Corona mill can do flour and grain grist. Here's a start on a quick search:http://www.wisementrading.com/grainmills.htm
I haven't been impressed with the grist from a corona mill, but my friend does BIAB so it seems to be less important.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »
from what I have read you can make flour, although it will be a courser grind than traditional, with a roller mill. You may have to put it back through a couple of times with the harder grains but it is suppsed to work. We will see. I will call some manufacturers and see what they have to say as well.

euge - you say that you use a corona for your brewing grains as well?

at any rate, favorite adjustable mills?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »
I use a JSP adjustable.  I've had it for 12+ years and thousands of lb. of grain.  I'd advise you to heed the advice here....there's not one mill that will do a good job for both brewing and flour.  That's like saying "I don't want to buy a hammer so I'm just gonna use my screwdriver to pound nails".  It'll work, but not very well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »
from what I have read you can make flour, although it will be a courser grind than traditional, with a roller mill. You may have to put it back through a couple of times with the harder grains but it is suppsed to work. We will see. I will call some manufacturers and see what they have to say as well.

euge - you say that you use a corona for your brewing grains as well?

at any rate, favorite adjustable mills?

I have a barley crusher. But I started with my old clamp on multiuse grinder. One that does a better job at grinding meat. Anyway it took a lot of effort to run even a pound though.

Get a 100% adjustable tri-roller. Lol
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:34:40 pm »
I use a JSP adjustable.  I've had it for 12+ years and thousands of lb. of grain.  I'd advise you to heed the advice here....there's not one mill that will do a good job for both brewing and flour.  That's like saying "I don't want to buy a hammer so I'm just gonna use my screwdriver to pound nails".  It'll work, but not very well.

Well the brewing mill is higher priority so we will head in that direction for now. I imagine it's a scale issue but from my research all commercial flour production is done using roller mills with multiple steps to remove germ and bran and remill larger pieces of grist. But I appreciate your advice and will not hold my breath for a good result with the roller mill for flour. Maybe it will mean another kitchen aid attachement for flour. shucks ;)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
Barley Crusher is the way to go.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals