Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is my Freezer shot?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Is my Freezer shot?
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:33:40 am »
So I guess when I took a hydro sample from my conical last night, I did not close the door tight enough on my chest freezer and it was cracked open and thus ran all night.

I turned it off before going to work this morning - but what should I expect - is it a certainty that it is dead, or is it possible it just froze up and i need to leave it sit warm for a day?

Any advice appreciated.

Tx
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Is my Freezer shot?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:10 am »
I have left mine cracked all night before with no ill effects, other than more internal frost buildup.

Are you thinking because it ran all night with the lid cracked that it might be broken?

BTW, glad you still have Porter there, or else I would not know who brewer 78 was. ;D

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:44:02 am »
That's the nice thing about chest freezers. Assuming minimal air currents above it, the cold air will just lay in the chest.

I'd turn it off, open it up and let it thaw/dry out. It should be fine.  If you were to load up a freezer with a lot of warm to cool food, it would likely run all night as well. They can take it.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:48 am »
Thanks guys - thankfully the batch of porter that is in there was already done fermenting.  I guess I will just leave it off for a while and then pray a little bit that it continues to work.

BTW, glad you still have Porter there, or else I would not know who brewer 78 was. ;D

yeah - I changed the name just to see what would happen (in case I ever needed to do so for a job or something) and then found out I can't change it back -   :-[.

Are you thinking because it ran all night with the lid cracked that it might be broken?

yes - because it was holding at the same temp (58) for the hour I was getting ready for work after realizing the open door instead of dropping to 52 like I wanted it to.  I am hoping that it is just frozen up
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:59:59 am by brewer'78 »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:30:50 am »
yeah - I changed the name just to see what would happen (in case I ever needed to do so for a job or something) and then found out I can't change it back -   :-[.

Ah man that stinks.
Couldn't some imaginary friend moderator help poor blatz out? 

Good luck with the chest.  I bet you are fine.