Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 10844 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 07:21:36 am »
For those that have not had the issue, think about driving to higher elevations and your ear pops due to the pressure. Now imagine it will not pop and the pressure becomes so great you can barely hear, you have severe head and ear aches and life is generally miserable...now multiply that times about 10 and you will understand what it might feel like.  ;)

I've been there on a flight once or twice, where when landing, my ears refused to pop.  I was about 20 years old and it was a bit on the alarming side...pressure did release eventually after landing, but dang, that was unpleasant.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:51 am »
For those that have not had the issue, think about driving to higher elevations and your ear pops due to the pressure. Now imagine it will not pop and the pressure becomes so great you can barely hear, you have severe head and ear aches and life is generally miserable...now multiply that times about 10 and you will understand what it might feel like.  ;)

I've been there on a flight once or twice, where when landing, my ears refused to pop.  I was about 20 years old and it was a bit on the alarming side...pressure did release eventually after landing, but dang, that was unpleasant.

You have to start correcting the pressure when you first feel it coming on. In my experience, with both flying and diving, if you wait it only gets harder to do. I found that if I clamp my nose and blow through my ears, but also try swallowing at the same time, it helps a lot.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
Ever try dirning from the backside of a glass? I doubt it will help with your ear preassure problem, but it's funny as hell!!! ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »
Ever try dirning from the backside of a glass? I doubt it will help with your ear preassure problem, but it's funny as hell!!! ;D

plu sit cures hicups! although not as well as a slice of lemon with sugar and bitters.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:53 pm »
Ok, Ex-Underground miner here...and the loud is better guitar guilty thing,and a
lot of loud head phone ear abuse and now.....Constang ringing in both ears. 
an herbalist will tell you to try OTC Bio-Flavinoids, I did.  Not much help.

I have had no luck with the removal of the incessant ringing....if someone
knows how to alleviate this affliction, please do post.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 07:07:37 pm »
Ok, Ex-Underground miner here...and the loud is better guitar guilty thing,and a
lot of loud head phone ear abuse and now.....Constang ringing in both ears. 
an herbalist will tell you to try OTC Bio-Flavinoids, I did.  Not much help.

I have had no luck with the removal of the incessant ringing....if someone
knows how to alleviate this affliction, please do post.

Thanks. Now I hear mine as well.  :-\

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47:50 am »
Corky I bet that ear popping after six months was like getting a nut. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:33 am »
Cork - ear wax and infection would be outer ear. You have pain, but no pressure in that instance. My wife has recurring outer ear infections. Irritating, painful, but nothing compared to an inner ear infection. I've actually had pretty good luck at a Doc in the Box before with ear issues. Now if you get a Doc who doesn't believe you know what you are talking about the best things is to never use their practice again. I once got free meds for allowing an entire staff at a Doc in the Box to look at how swollen and scarred my eardrums are...the best story is how my mother took me to the emergency room over a weekend when I was a kid. The Doc on duty didn't know crap and on the way home my eardrum burst. Ahhhh....
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:55 am »
I saw the ENT yesterday and it's a middle ear infection and the eardrum is healing.  He was not impressed with the NP's work so I get new antibiotics today.  Still, I was up at 3:30 AM with that dwarf driving a stake through my ear again.  This is getting old. Fast
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »
will someone answer the DAMN phone!!! 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »
What phone? 

No ear aches, but I've had Tinnitus since I was about 10, no loud noises or anything like that.  I though it was normal. 

About 3000 hz at 35 db by matching tone and volume during a test.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »
That would be one way to develop perfect pitch...you've got a reference tone built in!

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »
HAHA, I laugh at tinnitus but of course I can't here my laugh because of my tinnitus!  Air Force fire fighter = loud equipment, loud planes both taking of and walking around them and of course, the every now and then loud concert.  Just one of those things I have learned to live with.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »
I'd be lying down in front of the TV doing my homework, I'd hear the Horiz sync out and reach up and adjust it by sound, never looking at it then resume my homework.  My dad would always tell me to "fix" the TV.  I just did it before he could say anything, My "tone" was what I based my adjustment on.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »
When I used to repair tv's, anytime I had the back off of a Zenith, and turned it on, the flyback emitted a certain pitch that no one else in the shop could hear, but I could. It did something to my body that would put me just on the verge of either passing out, or throwing up. Strange stuff.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.