Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just freaked out a little...  (Read 5126 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: I just freaked out a little...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
I started with these in mine freezers:
http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG60-Refillable-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B002MPPYU2/

Then I bought a big bag to refill them.  You could certainly make your own container to hold the crystals and let the water drip through, but I didn't bother.
http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG30K-42-Ounce-Refill-Bag/dp/B000ZZWSVY/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 06:12:57 am »
I use this one for my 7.2 cu ft freezer. I have to refill it every 3-4 months.
 http://www.damprid.com/product/refillable-moisture-absorber-fg01k
edit: I believe this is the same size as Tom linked to.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:21:40 am by Mark G »
Mark Gres

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:09:58 am »
I got the brew hauler soaking in some starsan, will wash it out good later. I never intended to get rid of it, but that was my emotional state at the time...  I was slightly disconcerted... ;)
StarSan isn't a very effective cleaner. Soap and water, Oxiclean, PBW, TSP, or anything like that will do a better job of cleaning than StarSan, so they would probably do a better job of reducing the bioburden.
I soaked it in starsan to kill the mold, and washed it out afterwards, using pbw.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 05:26:22 am »
I got the brew hauler soaking in some starsan, will wash it out good later. I never intended to get rid of it, but that was my emotional state at the time...  I was slightly disconcerted... ;)
StarSan isn't a very effective cleaner. Soap and water, Oxiclean, PBW, TSP, or anything like that will do a better job of cleaning than StarSan, so they would probably do a better job of reducing the bioburden.
I soaked it in starsan to kill the mold, and washed it out afterwards, using pbw.
I don't think that Starsan will effectively kill the mold without washing it first.  Starsan works on clean surfaces, where the contamination is relatively rare and sparse cells, but won't necessarily penetrate into mold colonies.  Soap will probably kill more of the mold than Starsan, in this case.  Not that I would bother with the Starsan at all, but I just wanted to reinforce the practice of "clean, then sanitize".

Something like 5% bleach would be very effective at killing the mold, and virtually sterilize ("decontaminate", technically, but almost nothing can survive 10-20' in 5-10% bleach).  However, bleach and plastic aren't usually compatible, and I'd hate to see the Brew Hauler become brittle and snap.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:31:29 am by malzig »

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:11 am »
I have fermented some awesome beers in some pretty skanky chest freezers.

On the flip side, I've fermented some pretty skanky beers in some pretty awesome chest freezers. ;D
I've seen some pretty awesome chests on some pretty skanky babes.

But there is nothing worse than an awesome babe with a skanky chest....... :D
Dave Zach