Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heat stick  (Read 6529 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Heat stick
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:01 pm »
I'm sitting here at my bar looking at my indoor electric turkey fryer when it hits me..........All that element is, is a 110v heat stick. It'll bring 3 gal of oil to 400* in about an hour. So why shouldn't it bring 8 gal of strike water to 165 or so in that same hour? Who here uses a 110v heat stick to heat strike water? What size element are you using, and what kind of times and temps are you getting? Thanks!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Heat stick
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:47:40 pm »
I have three made from 1500 watt 115v water heater elements. Don't use them much anymore. But my plan is to go partially electric soon.

There is a way to build them watertight without using sealant but to do it again I will go through the kettle wall. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »
Yeah, I would like to install mine right in my HLT. Sure would make life easier.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:30 pm »
I do know some brewers using heat sticks to supplement their gas fired burners. I was considering the use of one in my HLT for preheating the water.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »
I use a "bucket heater" to heat my MT and HLT overnight.  They are controlled by a RANCO thermostat so they are ready to go in the morning.  (There is some heat stratification so I recirculate the water before mashing in.)
Brew on

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:41 pm »
I use a "bucket heater" to heat my MT and HLT overnight.  They are controlled by a RANCO thermostat so they are ready to go in the morning.  (There is some heat stratification so I recirculate the water before mashing in.)
This is basically what I do too, but I use a  timer. For approximately 10 gallons of water, it takes 3-4 hours to go from 60F to 170F.
Mark Gres

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:49:58 pm »
This is basically what I do too, but I use a  timer. For approximately 10 gallons of water, it takes 3-4 hours to go from 60F to 170F.

I do exactly the same thing on my 15gal system.  My HLT has a stirrer that solves the stratification problem.
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI

Offline another1

• Cellarman
    • Another1
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »
I have 2 X 2000W elements in my 15gal Keggle, and it brings water to 150 degrees in 35mins
Paul Wicksteed
@time4another1

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

I do exactly the same thing on my 15gal system.  My HLT has a stirrer that solves the stratification problem.
How did you make the stirrer?
TIA, Tom
Brew on

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

How did you make the stirrer?
TIA, Tom

I have a motor mounted on the lid of my HLT that is connected to this SS paint stirrer:

It's on a temp controller that is daisy-chained to the HLT control.  So, it only runs if the water temp is over 150F AND the HLT bucket heater is heating as well.  That way it does not run all the time during the run-up to strike temp.  My water is ready to go within 1 degree F when I walk into the brewhouse.  That's nice when I come home from my day job and want to start brewing pronto.
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:09:35 pm »
Sweet.  What kind of motor? 
Brew on

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »
Why not spend your money on a pump to whirlpool and solve other problems along the way?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 08:56:12 am »
I've got pumps.  Maybe I could set it up with a timer to start whirlpooling in the morning.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:46 am »
I've got pumps.  Maybe I could set it up with a timer to start whirlpooling in the morning.

That is what I do with the bucket heater, recirculate with the pump.  You can also insulate your tun/HLT to make it get to temp a little faster.  It is a wonderful thing to go to the brew system first thing in the morning and mash in with the grains crushed the night before.

Edit - I heat the mash tun.  The bucket heater is then put in the HLT when we mash in, and that helps get the sparge water up to temp.  Saves on some propane.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:01:50 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!