Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery / bar done!!  (Read 7129 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewery / bar done!!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 10:37:14 am »
yes there would. I grind into a plastic bucket and there is all kinds of dust and husk adhering to the sides when I am done.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 10:43:06 am »
You could even use a paint strainer bag.  Attach one end to the shoot with a spring clamp or bungee cord and fit the other end with a bit of elastic to fit around the top of the bucket.  Cheap, fairly easy (if you or you wife sew at all) and readily available.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 10:49:23 am »
Do you think there would be any static electricity build up on the plastic?
Yeah, but I still picture it holding less dust than a pillow case.  I could be wrong.

You could even use a paint strainer bag.  Attach one end to the shoot with a spring clamp or bungee cord and fit the other end with a bit of elastic to fit around the top of the bucket.  Cheap, fairly easy (if you or you wife sew at all) and readily available.
Yep, that would work too if I can't find a spare pillow case :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 11:01:18 am »
I like the pillow case.

I'm planning to put together a grain mill cabinet this winter. This discussion is helpful.
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »
I think the paint strainer bag would have the same static problems as my plastic bag idea. I really gave a lot of thought to using 2 pieces of metal duct pipe where one would slide inside the other for raising and lowering it in the bucket.

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »
I think the paint strainer bag would have the same static problems as my plastic bag idea. I really gave a lot of thought to using 2 pieces of metal duct pipe where one would slide inside the other for raising and lowering it in the bucket.

I'd guess there a dozen different ways to do it but let's not lose track of whether there is a problem to fix at all.  I've spent a ton of time coming up with grand fixes for problems I invented to make sure I had something new to build   ;D

My thought about the paint strainer was basically 1) I need to arrest dust from floating around while milling, 2) I'm cheap, 3) my wife would hunt me down like rabid animal if I swiped a pillow case, 3) I mean really cheap and 4) I have extra paint straining bags..  8^)

My new grain table drops grain directly into the bucket with a narrow gap between the counter top and the bucket lip (maybe 3/4" to 1").  I have not had any dust issues yet.  I don't really see problems from static in my brewery though either.

Good ideas form all if Weaze actually has a problem to fix.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »
With my mill, and no chute whatsoever,it's about 6" above the top of the bucket. It throws a lot of grain around inside the cabinet. If I just drop a duct to the level of the bucket and add a lid with an appropriate size hole in it, most of it would be contained.

Sometimes over engineering something is just fun.  :D

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

Yeah, I really didn't see a problem. The cabinet contains the dust. It never bothered me. I just added the chute to direct the grain to the center of the bucket. A little dust in my grain mill cabinet doesn't bother me all that much.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »

+1

To Bo's thought.  Cut a lid to fit the shoot slightly undersize and slide it up the shoot.  Place the bucket under and slide the lid down to contact.  Done!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 02:16:38 pm »
How about a movable shelf that can raise the bucket UP so the rim of the bucket seals to the underside of the mill platform.  I go the other way, my mill is just attached to a piece of MDF and sits on top of a bucket.  No dust can escape at all.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »
In all the dust I forgot to say one thing.

GREAT JOB ON THE ADDITION TO THE MAN CAVE MAN!!!

Paul

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
How about a movable shelf that can raise the bucket UP so the rim of the bucket seals to the underside of the mill platform.  I go the other way, my mill is just attached to a piece of MDF and sits on top of a bucket.  No dust can escape at all.

I thought about a movable shelf with a handle to raise and lower it, but I needed another beer, and I lost my train of thought on the way to the taps.  :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »

Yeah, I really didn't see a problem. The cabinet contains the dust. It never bothered me. I just added the chute to direct the grain to the center of the bucket. A little dust in my grain mill cabinet doesn't bother me all that much.
Originally the question was about my problem with the dust, which bothers me a bit.  Just a bit so far though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »

+1

I wouldn't worry much about it either.
Ron Price