Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling from a keg  (Read 19359 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: bottling from a keg
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:12 am »

:D, This really is good discussion, and very informative. 

Clearly there are multiple ways to address this issue, and different ends. 
Obviously bottling for competition may require different rigor than heading out to a Christmas party for the night. ;)

If I had some coin to spare, I might consider a beer gun;
I mean...it's a gun...that has a trigger...and shoots beer.  Show me a cooler brewing gadget. ;D

Cheers;  thanks again for the pointers.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:51 am »

Obviously bottling for competition may require different rigor than heading out to a Christmas party for the night. ;)

That's the point!  The point is that the cheap method is just as effective as spending hard earned dough on a beer gun.  You can flush the bottle with CO2 before you fill them, you don't need a beer gun! You don't!
Even if you didn't flush the bottles with CO2, if you cap on foam (which is almost 100% CO2), you won't have much O2 in the bottle if any. 
You just can't always believe what you're told in ads and on TV.  "You need this! Give us your money for something you can do yourself!"
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:17 am »

That's the point!  The point is that the cheap method is just as effective as spending hard earned dough on a beer gun.  You can flush the bottle with CO2 before you fill them, you don't need a beer gun! You don't!
Even if you didn't flush the bottles with CO2, if you cap on foam (which is almost 100% CO2), you won't have much O2 in the bottle if any. 
You just can't always believe what you're told in ads and on TV.  "You need this! Give us your money for something you can do yourself!"
Have you ever used a beer gun?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 11:40:58 am »

No.  Why is that important?  The cheap method is effective.  Flushes the bottle of CO2, fill at a very low PSI, chill the bottles, and that's good.  You still have to do that with a beer gun.
Jesse

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:30 am »

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I know I don't need one to get me to my destination. :D

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:40 am »
Indeeeeeeeeeed.
Jesse

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:28 am »

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I know I don't need one to get me to my destination. :D

Have you ever driven a Ferrari... :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:16 am »

This is exactly the point - yes, both get you to your destination, but I'll bet the Ferrari makes for a more pleasurable ride.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 11:50:37 am »

This is exactly the point - yes, both get you to your destination, but I'll bet the Ferrari makes for a more pleasurable ride.

I suppose if bottling "pleasure" is what you desire, than the money spent on a beer gun is worth it to you.  :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »

I suppose if bottling "pleasure" is what you desire, than the money spent on a beer gun is worth it to you.  :D
One handed bottle filling is worth it to me ;)  Beersk's method, while it may be effective, calls for two different wands and a keg of CO2 for flushing the bottles.  You can bottle a lot faster with a beergun, and my time is worth something.

That said, I keg exclusively and when I take beer places it is generally out of the tap and into a PET bottle with a carb cap.  I won my beergun and only use it to bottle for comps, and I haven't entered in a couple of years.  But as easy as it is to use and as well as it works, I would recommend it to anyone.  It's not required, but it's a great product.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 02:41:12 pm »
Once you've bought the Ferrari, the Yugo will never leave the garage.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »

One handed bottle filling is worth it to me ;)  Beersk's method, while it may be effective, calls for two different wands and a keg of CO2 for flushing the bottles.  You can bottle a lot faster with a beergun, and my time is worth something.

That said, I keg exclusively and when I take beer places it is generally out of the tap and into a PET bottle with a carb cap.  I won my beergun and only use it to bottle for comps, and I haven't entered in a couple of years.  But as easy as it is to use and as well as it works, I would recommend it to anyone.  It's not required, but it's a great product.
Man, it ain't that big of a deal.  You have all those things laying around the house, most likely.  It's not worth a hundred.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »
Man, it ain't that big of a deal.  You have all those things laying around the house, most likely.  It's not worth a hundred.
Time yourself bottling a batch with two wands and a keg of CO2.  Someone else can time themselves bottling with a beergun.  Take the difference and multiply by how many batches you bottle per year, and that's how much time you've spent in the name of saving money.  If you don't bottle much it's probably not worth it.  If you bottle a lot I think it will quickly add up.  It's your call though, it just depends on how you value your time and how much you enjoy your process.  I honestly don't mind how you choose to do it, other people make different choices that work for them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »

You hit the nail on the head. It's not worth that much money for the small advantage (and that's questionable) that it provides.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »
I see your point, Tom, I really do.  But I really don't think it'll be that much quicker with a beer gun.  You got two hands, use 'em. 
Jesse