Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling from a keg  (Read 19373 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: bottling from a keg
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
I'm pretty good at doing some things with one hand. :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »
I see your point, Tom, I really do.  But I really don't think it'll be that much quicker with a beer gun.  You got two hands, use 'em.  
When I bottle, I use the other hand for putting caps on and getting the next bottle ready.  Having a free hand speeds things up for me.

bo, you could use the other hand for something else that you're good at doing one handed, and do it while you're bottling ;)  I think it's funny that you've convinced yourself it's not really better, but you've never tried it. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »
I see your point, Tom, I really do.  But I really don't think it'll be that much quicker with a beer gun.  You got two hands, use 'em.  
When I bottle, I use the other hand for putting caps on and getting the next bottle ready.  Having a free hand speeds things up for me.

bo, you could use the other hand for something else that you're good at doing one handed, and do it while you're bottling ;)  I think it's funny that you've convinced yourself it's not really better, but you've never tried it. ;D

The fact is, the picnic tap/tube/stopper work so well, why would I want to spend $100 for something I don't need? As mentioned before, I have these things laying around. I can find much more important things to buy with that same money. If it was a $20 device, (about what it's worth from looking at it) then I might consider getting one.

It's like that floating, wireless hydrometer. If I recall correctly, you said that it was too much money. It's what's important to us that matters and a fancy piece of stainless tubing with a valve on it isn't important to me when I can get by so well without it

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
I see your point, Tom, I really do.  But I really don't think it'll be that much quicker with a beer gun.  You got two hands, use 'em. 
When I bottle, I use the other hand for putting caps on and getting the next bottle ready.  Having a free hand speeds things up for me.

bo, you could use the other hand for something else that you're good at doing one handed, and do it while you're bottling ;)  I think it's funny that you've convinced yourself it's not really better, but you've never tried it. ;D

The fact is, the picnic tap/tube/stopper work so well, why would I want to spend $100 for something I don't need? As mentioned before, I have these things laying around. I can find much more important things to buy with that same money. If it was a $20 device, (about what it's worth from looking at it) then I might consider getting one.

It's like that floating, wireless hydrometer. If I recall correctly, you said that it was too much money. It's what's important to us that matters and a fancy piece of stainless tubing with a valve on it isn't important to me when I can get by so well without it
I'm not arguing that you need to run out and buy one - spend your money how you want.  I just think it is silly for you to criticize others for spending their money how they want, and for you to say it's not better when you've never used one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »
I see your point, Tom, I really do.  But I really don't think it'll be that much quicker with a beer gun.  You got two hands, use 'em. 
When I bottle, I use the other hand for putting caps on and getting the next bottle ready.  Having a free hand speeds things up for me.

bo, you could use the other hand for something else that you're good at doing one handed, and do it while you're bottling ;)  I think it's funny that you've convinced yourself it's not really better, but you've never tried it. ;D

I'm not arguing that you need to run out and buy one - spend your money how you want.  I just think it is silly for you to criticize others for spending their money how they want, and for you to say it's not better when you've never used one.

I don't believe that I actually criticized others for buying them. If I did, then I apologize.

Look at its design. The only thing it does different than a picnic tap and a tube is that it opens at the bottom. You still have to chill your bottles, turn your CO2 down, etc. OK, you can squirt CO2 in the bottle. I can do that with a second valve. I'm not that pressed for time and I doubt that others are either.

Besides that, if you really want a good fill, use a CPBF, It's truly the best way to get an almost foam free bottle of beer. Even then, you have to set up your equipment correctly or it will fail as well.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 08:18:50 pm »
Can we sum this up and put it to rest?

Some of us like the DIY option. Some of us like the beer gun. Both work. Do watcha like.

Some of us ferment in buckets.  Some prefer stainless conicals. Both work.

There's really no right or wrong answer here.  Uess you want to just spray it out of the tap and cap it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2011, 07:02:44 am »

Obviously bottling for competition may require different rigor than heading out to a Christmas party for the night. ;)

That's the point!  The point is that the cheap method is just as effective as spending hard earned dough on a beer gun.  You can flush the bottle with CO2 before you fill them, you don't need a beer gun! You don't!
Even if you didn't flush the bottles with CO2, if you cap on foam (which is almost 100% CO2), you won't have much O2 in the bottle if any. 
You just can't always believe what you're told in ads and on TV.  "You need this! Give us your money for something you can do yourself!"
Have you ever used a beer gun?

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I know I don't need one to get me to my destination. :D

Have you ever driven a Ferrari... :)
I had a second CO2 set up to purge the bottle, and maybe got sloppy on the purge, or did not have enough foam.  Whatever, I bought the beer gun, it worked for the NHC this year. 

A friend and I bottled 5 gallons in 45 minutes with the beer gun.

Yeah, I have driven a Ferrari or 2.  Those are nice.  The Porsche 959 was on a whole different level. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2011, 07:45:55 am »
To each his own.

Everyone has their preferences and the reasons behind their choices. I prefer the beer gun and the next guy prefers the picnic tap with a bottle filler. Whether for value or for added benefit...beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. So be it.
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:54 am »
To each his own.

Everyone has their preferences and the reasons behind their choices. I prefer the beer gun and the next guy prefers the picnic tap with a bottle filler. Whether for value or for added benefit...beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. So be it.

I prefer kegs and no bottling, to be perfectly honest. :D

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:49 am »
Fine. You know what?  FINE!
Jesse

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:54 am »

I guess we're just 2 guys with full bottles of beer and an extra $100 in our pockets. :D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 09:11:26 am »

I guess we're just 2 guys with full bottles of beer and an extra $100 in our pockets. :D

One could argue that a kegging set up is not required.  But they are nice, but not necessary (full disclaimer - I have 3 tanks and regualtors, and 23 kegs). 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:21 am »

One could argue that a kegging set up is not required.  But they are nice, but not necessary (full disclaimer - I have 3 tanks and regualtors, and 23 kegs). 
Daaaaamn dude.  I have 3 kegs and space for 2 kegs in my keg fridge.  And one 20lb tank that I filled over a year and a half ago.  It's still showing just below the green area on the regulator.  Kinda wondering when it's gonna run out...
Anyway...yes kegging is an investment, for damn sure.
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
So I got to try out my beer gun for the first time last weekend bottling 15 gallons for the Christmas and New Years festivities. My personal verdict; very pleased with the purchase.  It's an efficient tool. 
Yes, there are absolutely other DIY methods that deliver perfectly fine results. For me (and clearly others as well) this was an investment in efficiency and consistency.
Merry Christmas to me and Cheers to all, however you bottle yer brew!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:54 am »
Well, I think that's just GREAT.
Jesse